• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to remove scabs?

Hawarden

Warren Scout
Re Anastasia eye op:

Our vet suggested removing the scabs that start to come off from around her eye so that they don't get in the way of her eye.

Her eye is healing nicely and some scabs have started to loosen, and one is hanging partly over her eye. However I'm not sure about 'pulling' them off, in case they hurt her - (what a softy I am :lol:).

Rather than admit defeat and take her back to the vet for hime to do it, does anyone have any experience with this problem and have any suggestions on how to do it?

Hiya. You could try using a little bit of vaseline to soften the scab. If you very gently massage the vaseline over and around the scab it should come away. Jane and Buns xx

I had a ratty absolutely covered in abcesses, and as they healed over I had to keep picking the scabs off to let them heal from the inside.
The best way I found was to soak some cottonwool in lukewarm Hibiscrub (use boiled water and let it cool to lukewarm and add the Hibiscrub), and hold this over the scab for a little bit. The scab would loosen up but there was also the benefit that it kept the area clean, which would help with Anastasia too as the eye area will be a difficult area for her to keep clean herself.
Although it sounds cruel, I found the best way to do it was like a plaster - rip it off quickly in one go. The ratty did get used to it in the end, and although it must've been painful to her, the alternative (possible blood poisoning and the abcesses spreading to the bone) would have been much worse

Karly said:
The best way I found was to soak some cottonwool in lukewarm Hibiscrub (use boiled water and let it cool to lukewarm and add the Hibiscrub), and hold this over the scab for a little bit. The scab would loosen up but there was also the benefit that it kept the area clean, which would help with Anastasia too as the eye area will be a difficult area for her to keep clean herself.
.....might be a bit 'iffy' should any hibiscrub accidently get into Anastasia's eyes.... :? :? Unless she is a VERY co-operative bun and stays perfectly still I would not risk using hibiscrub near a bunsters eyes. Jane and Buns xx

Back