• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby piggies - update

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
It is so stressful waiting for babies to arrive!! There are so many things that can go wrong:( Ingrid lost her babies at the vets last week after they died inside her :cry: , so this made me even more anxious about Freya:( I took he rin to the vets just to be sure and he told me to be patient - but that is so hard :wink:
Finally last night after looking as if she was going to pop for weeks she produced her babies. Sadly two of them were stillborn, not properly formed, but the other two are alive :D The little boy is tiny, only half the size of his sister, so I am still worried, but I feel much better than I did before they were born.
Here they are: Xanthe and Ulrik
xanthe.jpg
ulrik.jpg

You can see how much bigger Xanthe is:
babies.jpg

And with their Mum, Freya:
mumandbabies1.jpg

mumandbabies2.jpg

Both the preggie piggies came from a situation where loads of inbreeding had taken place - which probably explains all the stillborn babies. Freya's other two didn't have eyes, and apparently two of Ingrid's were tiny and mummified. I didn't see them as they were born at the vets. People Grrrrrrrr

But these two will be much loved :D :lol:

aww how cute - and how sad to lose so many too - I was very lucky to have all mine delivered safely, being a total novice and all :)

Yup piggies are born all ready to go :D The pics were taken within half an hour of their birth.
Judging by the speed the food is disappearing they are already helping their Mum dispose of it :lol: They are very lively, trotting about their cage, talking to eachother constantly :love:
I am still concerned about the little fella, but he seems to be doing alright.
I'll get some more pics today.

Awwww there lovely
When i was younger 2 of our piggies had babies
i ran into my mum and said quick the babys are eating dry food,they dont have any teeth!
my mum then told me they do have teeth baby piggies are just a miniture of there parents and can eat dry food and hay as soon as there born!
I was very shocked :shock: :lol:

so I've heard (didn't see it happen!) the mum pulls the babies out of her tum using their front teeth - she kind of locks her teeth around theirs and heaves :shock:

elve said:
so I've heard (didn't see it happen!) the mum pulls the babies out of her tum using their front teeth - she kind of locks her teeth around theirs and heaves :shock:
Really :shock:

doorkeeper said:
Yup piggies are born all ready to go :D The pics were taken within half an hour of their birth.
Judging by the speed the food is disappearing they are already helping their Mum dispose of it :lol: They are very lively, trotting about their cage, talking to eachother constantly :love:
I am still concerned about the little fella, but he seems to be doing alright.
I'll get some more pics today.

Looking forward to more pictures. I'm glad they're all settling down already!

ARC had babies born last year from a similiar situation of inbreeding. We also had a lot who died within a short while of being born, we had one which was alive from a group of 6 babies who were born, the rest died within a very short while of birth. The little one who survived weighed just 12g. We ended up suplementing mums milk with complan made with water which we spoon fed it. It survived and has now been rehomed.

Compared to rabbits who are so dependent for a few weeks after birth, guinea pigs are so independent and will be eating cabbage, carrots etc within a few days of birth.

Janice

elve said:

Except Freya didn't quite get it :roll: I had to pull the first one out for her as she stood there with it sticking out of her. Maybe she sensed that it was dead :cry: I tried to wake it up, but then saw it had no eyes or legs :shock: :cry: The second one was alive and seemed to jolt her awake and we both reached for it. Then another came straight away so I took the one already born and dried her and put her in a towel on a hot water bottle. The third was dead too, and the last one looked dead until I rubbed him and he gasped and gasped for air :D And today he is skittering about :D And seems expert at latching onto Mummy's teats :D

Here is a couple of pics from when they were a day old. I'm just emptying the camera, then will take more.
freyaandbabies.jpg

1day.jpg

Back