• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Before getting a new Bunny or Bunnies.

julia.julibob

Warren Scout
I would like some advice please.

My husband and I have decided after nearly 5 years to get another Bunny or Bunnies. The reason it has taken so long is a traumatic memory for us both.

We bought Harleigh (a fawn Dwarf Lop) before we got married and had children. He came from a local breeder and shower. He was a very clean and happy bunny and we never had to have him neutered. About 6 months before we lost him, our neighbours fence blew over and took his hutch with it! Luckily he seemed unharmed. Shortly after, his face swelled and he was diagnosed with an abscess under his molar and blocked tear duct on the same side. He was given numerous courses of antibiotics before they operated and removed the abscess. A few weeks later the abscess and dry eye returned and they did an x-ray which revealed that the root of his molar was growing through his tear duct and was also growing in the wrong position, causing both problems. They would not remove the molar as they said it would be too much for any rabbit. They said that they wanted to remove the abscess again and give more antibiotics!! It did not help and we ended up with a poorly bunny with very little left of one side of his face. They took him in again and did a bone scan which revealed that the infection had spread into his jaw and skull bones. Despite not holding much hope, they wanted to treat him with even more antibiotics, but this was the point that we did the only kind thing, and asked them to put him to sleep. It was one of the hardest things we have ever done.

You can see why we said never again, but never has come and we want to get 2 this time.

The bunnies will be mine and my husbands pets, but the children (6 and 4) need to be able to handle them. They will spend time indoors and out, but as I have allergies will sleep in their hutch outside.

We are looking at Mini-Lops, but want to know if they have the same dental problems as Dwarf Lops? We would prefer smaller rabbits, but will build a hutch to suit whatever size. I love Rex's but know nothing about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on breed especially with children in the household??

Do we get 2 brothers and neuter/ 2 sisters (I have been told that the girls can suffer from bunny PMT), or a brother and a sister.

Sorry to drag on, but We want to get this right, and want happy, healthy, friendly bunnies who will be part of the family.

Any advice gratefully received.

Julia

Boy / Girl is supposed to be easier to bond although if you get babies then they will need to be seperate until the boy is neutered.

If you look on the main RR site or contact one of the rescues you may find some buns that have already been neutered and or already been around children etc and they will also be able to advise you if they have previously had any health problems

I may be completely wrong here but i dont think your buns dental problem is specific to the breed, there are a few people on here who have had problems like that with different breeds

I am glad to hear that you have decided to get another bun. Sorry to hear about how you lost Harleigh :(

I would advise that you rehome a pair of rabbits. This way, you can get a pair who are already happy together. Also, some rabbits can change a lot when they mature so if you get adults you can be more sure of their suitability.

Unfortunately, Lops commonly get tooth problems. I lost my Dwarf Lop to molar root problems too, and I currently have a Mini Lop with really bad malocclusion. It is to do with the shape of the skull.

If you like Rex it is worth asking round the rescues as there are quite a lot of them out there. Mini Rex are becoming increasingly popular - they are about the same size as a Dwarf Lop, but standard Rex are really lovely too. I personally think you are better off with bigger rabbits around small children because it is harder for them to pick the rabbit up unsupervised.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum! :) You'll never leave - it's addictive! :lol:

Quinn said:
I may be completely wrong here but i dont think your buns dental problem is specific to the breed, there are a few people on here who have had problems like that with different breeds

Yes, you can get problems like this in any breed, but they are most common in Lops, particularly the smaller Lop breeds. :?

yes you would be best getting a neutered adult pair from a rescue, as you can see just what you are getting personality wise with adult rabbits - babies are very easy till they hit about 4 months old, then they are a real handful for about 6 months, plus you have the worry of neutering them and rebonding them after a major op!

I don't think many rabbits enjoy being handled by small children though - guinea pigs are great for that, but not rabbits as they have a big kick and can bite quite badly. They should enjoy stroking but mustn't be picked up by small children as they can twist their back if they struggle.

I didnt realise that about the tooth problems - you learn something new each day

Personally i would be scared of letting children near my buns because they kick - HARD and scratch but then they are buns that arent too fond of being picked up - older buns that are used to it may be ok

I know that there are lots of rabbits out there to re-home, and I have a friend that takes in many, but we really would like to get them from babies, so that they know us and the children from as young as possible.

I also assumed that if I brought from a recommended breeder who is a member of the BRC that I would get a well bred bunny, less likely to have health problems?

Our Guinea Pigs were rescues that we got as babies, and they were always very small and underweight, and have been having severe problems with impaction. Unfortunately we lost Rolo 2 weeks ago to stroke, so Smartie is now alone, but also very poorly now :cry:

Julia

I would suggest getting a neutered male / female pairing. It is best to have a neutered female as they are less likely to be hormonal and this protects them from uterine and ovarian cancer. If you get adult bunnies you will be able to know their personality, unlike teenage bunnies who can be a little tempremental, not what you need if you have children about.

If you look at http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp there is a list of rescues in your area. If you cannot find anything locally ARC which is based in Twickenham have lots of rabbits of all ages all looking for homes. http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?t=1

Janice

Hello! Sorry to hear about the way you lost your previous bunny - that must have been so difficult for you - no wonder it's taken you so long to want bunnies again!

julia.julibob said:
we really would like to get them from babies, so that they know us and the children from as young as possible.
Plenty of rescues have baby bunnies as well as adults - particularly at this time of year, so please don't write off a rescue just because they might not have babies.

To be honest though, I don't think the theory necessarily works that baby bunnies that are well handled will grow into lovely childrens pets. They may well do if you're lucky but there are an awful lot that will turn into teenage tearaways and could well frighten the children - especially when they are in that age where they are too young to neuter but are getting territorial. Sadly that's how a lot of these rabbits end up in rescues! When they are subsequently neutered and paired with another bunny (usually of the opposite sex), they do tend to chill out. Also sadly many bunnies are in rescues for an awful long time, so their personalities are well known and the rescue would be very well placed to advise you on picking suitable bunnies for a household with children.

Someone I know bought two minilops from a reputable breeder just before Christmas - they have just recently had one of them taken into the vets with serious dental problems which has resulted in the removal of all 4 incisors, so it just goes to show that it doesn't necessarily follow that breeder bunnies won't have health problems (although obviously you would expect a good breeder to not breed from bunnies where they know there are dodgy genetics somewhere in their line).

If you are determined to go to a breeder, don't be fooled by BRC membership - anyone can join, this is no guarantee of any kind of good standard (in fact some people are said to join just so people think they are reputable!) - satisfy yourself that the animals are not overbred, that they are kept in good sized accommodation, that they are not weaned too young, fed a good diet etc etc.

If you're not getting an already neutered, bonded pair, it is a difficult choice knowing what babies to get, as 2 boys will more than likely fight at maturity even if neutered, 2 girls may live together but they may also get very territorial before they are old enough to be neutered and if they fight it is unlikely that they will live together again if you have to separate them. A boy and a girl obviously are likely to get on, but you would have to separate them first of all until the boy is castrated (some vets will do this as soon as the testicles descend, others like to wait until they are 4/5 months old) and for 6 weeks afterwards as he could still get her pregnant in that time. So you would have to be prepared for 2 sets of accommodation for a while at least.

For whatever size bunnies you get, it is generally recommended now by the RSPCA and RWA that you get a hutch at least 5*2*2 and an attached run and/or free time in the house/garden every day. The rescue that I help at requires a minimum run size of 50 sq foot - someone on here said the other day that many runs should really be called walks :lol:

Most of the rexes that I know have been quite timid, not sure if this is normal or not (rex owners please make yourselves known!) They do tend to be prone to sore hocks because they have less fur around their feet and obviously need more insulation in winter as they have less dense fur. I'm not sure they would be great for children to be honest, as they are quite slender and I should imagine that their bones may be quite delicate.

Good luck!

As this is a rescue site I'm sure you will be expecting the 'rescue a bunny' pitch...so here's mine! :D

I too would quite liked to have had baby rabbits however after doing research I decided rescue buns were the best option.

Firstly, I found out that rabbits personalities change when they are in their teenage months and what could be a friendly cuddley bun one day could be an aggressive teenager the next day! :roll: A benefit of going to a rescue is that they know their rabbits and can assess personalities. I knew I wanted a fairly friendly rabbit (don't we all) and that is exactly what I've got!

One of my rabbits was abused and I was slightly concerned that his previous relationship with humans would affect his bond to us. I was wrong. He is such an affectionate, confident, wonderful little chap. He actually is more comfortable with us than our other rabbit - also a rescue but she was born there and therefore hasn't been mistreated.

After being on this forum for a couple of months I am also aware of the help that our rescue gave us when starting out with rabbits. They were really on the ball as far as health concerns and have said that they are only a phone call away if we ever have any questions or concerns about the rabbits, however silly or trivial they may be! I havent contacted any breeders but I would be very surprised if you had that offer from a breeder!!!!

Also I know that rescues have a huge problem with such a large number of unwanted rabbits. I read that rescues in the UK see 33,000 rabbits each year. I find that VERY upsetting and by adopting two rabbits I feel that I have done my bit to help these poor rabbits and the people who work so hard in the rescues.

AlisonA said:
Most of the rexes that I know have been quite timid, not sure if this is normal or not (rex owners please make yourselves known!) They do tend to be prone to sore hocks because they have less fur around their feet and obviously need more insulation in winter as they have less dense fur. I'm not sure they would be great for children to be honest, as they are quite slender and I should imagine that their bones may be quite delicate.

Good luck!

I've got a mini rex and I would have to say he's definately not an ideal children's bunny. He's quite shy, and although he will come over to you eventually he doesn't like being picked up. He definately needs a firm hand to check him over as he hates being turned over, having his nails trimmed or his face/mouth checked (he has had teeth problems, but this was due to an injury not genetics - but as said, dental problems aren't really breed specific, just more common in breeds with the short squished up face like Nethies and mini lops). You have to be careful when picking him up as he kicks a lot and I won't let my step-sisters pick him up because of it. Actually, none of his brothers in his litter were keen on being handled, though I'm not sure if this is a breed thing or not as they were in the petshop I used to work in so obviously not the same as a quiet home environment and buns will be a bit more wary.
He does have hock problems - luckily not scabby or infected but the fur has been worn off and the skin is thickened and rough, so I have to be careful that they don't worsen.

Like others, I would definately recommend a rescue. There are plenty of adult buns that are just as cute as baby buns - and there will definately be a range of ages from babies to OAP bunnies, so you have a good chance of finding younger ones if that's what you're after. But by going for a bun over about 6 months you stand a good chance of being past the hormonal stage, which is when some buns can become territorial and bite because of the hormones, and also it gives an indication of health problems to come, especially as a lot of rescues will ask their vet to check the condition of the rabbit's teeth while they're under anaesthetic being spayed or neutered.

I don't think there's a 100% guarantee that whereever you get your rabbit(s) from is responsible and trustworthy, but if you look at it this way - rescues ask for donations so that they can continue to take in more and more bunnies and if they're neutering and spaying then they definately don't make a profit from the donations. They're taking on responsibilities that aren't even their problem, ill and malnourished animals that were neglected by others and paying the vet bills themselves. They're doing everything for the good of the rabbits. If you look at the way some 'breeders' work, you can tell this isn't always the case. Many 'cull' extra babies, wouldn't bother spending the money on a rabbit with dental problems (as it'd be no use for breeding), provide the buns with only the bare essentials so that more of the money they make can line their pockets. I'm not saying all breeders are like this, I'm sure there are some fantastic breeders, and some bad rescues - but how many breeders do homechecks? Spay or neuter and vaccinate before the bun goes to a new home? Pay the ongoing costs for rabbits with health problems? Give up their time and money, not only looking after the rabbits but looking for new homes, even driving them around the country to get their?

Rescue bunnies do not automatically mean poorly bunnies, just like breeder bunnies aren't necessarily 100% healthy. Many end up in rescues for other reasons - personal issues, moving to a place that doesn't allow animals, moving abroad, kids getting bored, new job that doesn't allow enough time for looking after them, losing a job or being made homeless, etc. Infact, those owners who bother to find their rabbit a place in a rescue usually care about the bunny enough to have looked after it well.

At the end of the day, it's your decision to make. But please have a look around on the forum, and on the Rabbit Rehome site first, and see how many needy buns are out there, and how many have been given a new life by being adopted

I do hear what you are saying, and perhaps that is the way to go. I need to speak to hubby first. A concern with that is, that to be able to have 2, I will have to wait for a bonded pair to become available, and then we all have to like each other. I dont want 2 older rabbits that we will become so attached to, only to lose them after a short while.

If we were to only get one, then I would run the risk of it never bonding with a 2nd, and having 2 lonely rabbits (which I dont want) and having to build a 3rd hutch. I would like this to be as stress free and easy as possible.

I have looked at the re-homing sites recommended from here, and there seems a lack of bonded male/female or male/male pairs. :( . Lots of female/female which I didnt really want.

Hubby is going to build a 6ft x 2ft x 2.5ft hutch.

Julia

julia.julibob said:
If we were to only get one, then I would run the risk of it never bonding with a 2nd, and having 2 lonely rabbits (which I dont want) and having to build a 3rd hutch. I would like this to be as stress free and easy as possible.

You would also have this problem if you went for baby bunnies from a breeder too. You couldn't keep a male/female together as there'd be the risk of the female getting pregnant before you had the male neutered (or in the 6 week period he's still fertile afterwards), and you have no guarantee a male/male or female/female pair would stay together once they matured and got to the hormonal stage.
Many rescues run a bonding service, so if you're interested in two bunnies they have, why not ask if they'd try bonding them for you? I imagine they are probably hesitant to bond them beforehand as pairs are more difficult to rehome than single buns but if you express your interest in a pair I'm sure they'd be willing to try it, and they have the benefit of experience with bonding.
You don't have to go for a really old bun either - many buns in rescues are 2 or under. As the lifespan of a rabbit is usually about 8, you'd still have a good 6 years, at LEAST. Many buns go on far past this expectation, to 10 or more!

julia.julibob said:
I have looked at the re-homing sites recommended from here, and there seems a lack of bonded male/female or male/male pairs. :(

Whereabouts are you - I'll bet someone on here knows a rescue near you which has plenty :lol: Many rescues also only place a selection of their bunnies on the main rabbit rehome search database, they often have loads of other ones as well! If you're in the north of kent, I can definitely recommend GBH rescue (details on the link page someone put earlier) they always have LOADS of bunnies, they also have plenty of babies at the moment so there would be a number of options, and are happy to help with bonding (my little Santa came from there - my Dudley went on a blind date and came back a few days later with his new friend!)

The other alternative is that you could choose 2 single bunnies that you really like from a rescue and see if they like each other. Many rescues would be only too happy for you to pick two of their bunnies and to bond them for you :D It might be a few days before you can take them home, but that way you still end up with a lovely pair of bunnies with minimum hassle!

you shouldn't lose them after a short while - rabbits can live 15 years, although 8 is about average. The main problem you will have with getting babies is seperating them to neuter at different ages as Alison said - you will need seperate accomodation for at least a few months for each rabbit before neutering, unless you want fighting and/or more babies.

I adopted all my rabbits aged over one yr - 2yrs, and they are steady and predictable - very nice tempered and I hope to enjoy their company for the best part of 10yrs :)

I'm interested in Smartie's ill health - is it just anal impaction causing it? I have rescued 10 boy guinea pigs and am fairly new to piggies - I did have a boy who got impacted after being neutered though - he died a couple of months later :(

How often do you have to clean out Smartie's bum to keep him happy? Think I might have a full time job in a few years as I've heard it's common in older boys :shock:

Smartie also had a stroke, but this was a year ago, and he recovered all movement. Unfortunately the stroke affected his internal organs and he cannot absorb food properly, so is very skinny. From the research I have done, impaction is common in older boars. The blockage needs clearing weekly and I have to be particular with his diet. Instead of water I make him hay tea for extra fibre. The vet only gave him a few weeks back in September last, and suggested possibly putting him to sleep as he was in a bad way, but all the while he was still eating and drinking the best thing for him was to be with his brother. 6 months on, the poor little chap has lost his brother and but is still going strong. As he is in such poor health, we both feel it would be unfair to introduce another piggy to him now. Neither were neutered.

I am near Tonbridge, Kent (West Kent).

We will probably still visit the breeder at the weekend as I said I would go. She offers lifelong advice for all her bunnies, but we shall see.

I am liking the sound of adoption more and more, and would be grateful of any more advice, and rescue centres near me that have rabbits.

Julia

You're not that far from GBH then, they are based in Beckenham but I have a feeling that the woman who does the bonding at her house lives more down towards your way (don't quote me on that though :lol: )

Or the RSPCA at West Malling isn't too far from you, I don't know anything about them so I have no idea what bunnies they have/whether they do bonding/what their adoption procedures are, though.

And just to tempt you, here are my Dudley and Santa on their blind date at Angela's from GBH :lol:
babd7e95.jpg

julia.julibob said:
A concern with that is, that to be able to have 2, I will have to wait for a bonded pair to become available, and then we all have to like each other.

Your really don't need to worry about this! We fell in love with Albert on this site and when we went to meet him we chose a girlfriend for him. The rescue then did the hard work of bonding (which took about a week) then they were ours to take home!

I think that rescues probably keep their rabbits unbonded so that people can a)choose partners, b)put a partner from outside the rescue with the rabbit.

It don't think it takes long for rabbits to bond - 5-10 days just to be on the safe side!

I really hope that you do decide to rescue and that your talk with your O/H goes well! The fact that you are bothering to sign up to this website and research shows that you will provide a good home to your rabbits, rescued or not! :D

thanks for that info - poor Smartie :( I think my Charlie may have had heart probs too - All you can do is make them comfortable and wait and see, I guess. I've got several single piggies and they seem perfectly happy alone - just had to split up a boy pair as the baby bullied his dad when he matured - Dad seems very relieved to be on his own now! :)

Sorry I can't help with rabbits in your area - why not look at rescues further afield on RR pages, and see if transport can be arranged via the forum? - it's happened before and I'm sure volunteers will magically appear again, if you fall in love with some rabbits elsewhere :)

hi, i'm sure lots of people can understand why people want baby bunnies, until i found this site i always had babies.

after being on here i had a long think about rescue rabbits and decided to take on an 18month old who had been mishandled and was very untrusting. the rescue had done a great job with him and he'd lost some of his fear. i've had him two months now and he's lovely. ok he's shyer than bailey and maple (who are show off's :roll: ) but he's as good as guinea and gia who i've had for nearly five years now.

i've had male/female and female/female pairs and they've all been really close, i haven't found male/female to be stronger.

one of the toughest lessons i've learnt is that sadly there's no knowing how long we'll have with our precious bunnies. most of mine have lived until 7 but i sadly lost two when they were just 2. they weren't treated any diferently and were so special but as someone else said bunnies can live into their teens so you could take on a bunny that's two or three and still have many happy years (just a bit less sanity :D )

it's great that you're considering rescuing, it is scary but definitely worthwhile and most rescues seem to know their bunnies really well and should be able to match you to your ideal bunny :D good luck!

Back