• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril not working

Hi

You don't mention how long your Rex has been on Baytril. If it does not seem to be working, it may be that the infection is resistant to the Baytril, it certainly will do no harm to go back to the vet and see if they will prescribe something like Septrin.

Janice

He had his full course of 10 days of 5ml per day administered by lettuce leaf! does anyone know how he would have caught pasturella?

Pasteurella is a bacteria that many rabbits carry in their repsiratory system, when they get stressed or when their immune system becomes compromised they develope symptoms. Many rabbits who have been bred in 'compact' surroundings are infected with this but appear asymptomatic, it is when they are passed on to new owners at a young age that this will often become noticed. It is nothing you have done to cause him to develope this.

Janice

To be honest i think that such a short course of batril will not do much anyway. Its not cureable. I will only put rabbits on batril if they are sick with it. Meaning very chesty and snoty, then a much longer course say 2 to 3 weeks. To be honest its a waste of time giving it when there only sneezing and not producing anything. When he gets [ if] a snoty nose then the vet can test it to tell the best type of antibiotics to give. val

Alfie sneezes quite alot and he was put on courses of baytril and another one beginning with M - Marbocyl or something?! anyway, the antibiotics didn't do anything at all!! infact it gave Alfie a bladder infection so he came off them.

After a nose swab it came back negative of pasturella and am taking him to a recommended rabbit savvy vet next week who i am hoping will give him another antibiotic.

he has never been ill from it, just sneezes and snots quite alot!

I took one of my rabbits, Poppy, to the vets a couple of months ago as she was sneezing (no other ailments). She was put on Baytril. She took the first 10 doses but it made absolutely no difference so we went back to the vets for a second prescription of Baytril. We didn't give the 2nd lot as we went on holiday and the boarding place did it for us. They noticed that she virtually stopped sneezing therefore we assumed Baytril had worked.

However when we brought her home her sneezing continued. We posted on here and it was suggested that the central heating may be drying her respiratory tract and that tallied with her favourite spot being next to a radiator! We moved the radiator (it was a portable one!!) and although she still sneezes occasionally it's not hal as bad as it was when she was next to the radiator.

I'm not saying that it definately isn't snuffles that Poppy has but she certainly is not ill with it, there is no snot and she's happy and 'healthy' (fingers crossed!). I think the stress of giving her the antibiotics (we had to give it to her using a syringe, her being help on her back wrapped in a towel like a baby) was so stressful and what for???? Also if Baytril was not going to be effective as it might not be snuffles, what happens if she does get something that she'll need antibiotics for - she will have developed an immunity! We haven't bothered to get more treatments for Poppy, we do monitor her sneezing but at the moment she sneezes once a day if that.

Hope this helps you.

Melanie

Bert has had this for about 6 weeks-after being on Baytril for 5 weeks, and it delaying him being neutured :( the vet has now given us eyedrops to see if it is pasturella and in theory they will help-not sure what they are called-I'll check when i get home.
Doesn't seem to have helped yet-but at least eyedrops are alot easier than two injections of Baytril a day!

really you should always ask your vet to do a swab of the snot and send it to a lab with this kind of infection, as there are several organisms that cause snottiness etc. Baytril is good but there are some organisms that are killed better by a different antibiotic - the lab test will tell your vet what it is, and what antibiotic to use - costs around £30 for a test.

Back