• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stomping at night?!?

luke_1292

New Kit
Hi all,

My 2nd bunny, named tufty was rescued from the RSPCA. Because he was hardly handeled when young, he is quite a grumpy rabbit! He gets feed every day and night and his hutch is perfectly clean. Nearly every night, we have heard stomps and even caught him kicking the back wall of the hutch, what does it mean!?! :(

Luke

Does he have any toys? does he have a run ? does he come out and play?

Quinn used to do that if i didnt get him out for some reason that night - it was his way of saying he wanted out

He's frightened probably!! Rabbits 'thump' to warn other rabbits of danger. Or sometimes when they are cross. Is he an outdoor bun?? Are there cats/foxes about?? Rabbits can seriously harm themselves with excessive thumping so you do need to find out why he is upset and try to resolve the situation. Do you cover his hutch at night or could you move it and him into a shed? Jane and Buns xx

They have a run every day (5ft x 5ft run). He does have toys in the hutch as well as a friend. Cats and foxes are never around at the time he starts. Litrually, it lasts for a couple of minuets but i dont no what it is! I have been keeping rabbits for 4 years now so i know what they require and dont require!

Well, not your fault!

Anyway, i might right to the RWA Vets and ask their help! He seems happy in the day, 3 days out of seven we actualy let them free in the garden. Catching them is no prob because when they see us put the food in, they are straight in the hutch!

When I first got Poppit she thumped all the time :(

Now she has settled in she only thumps when I go into their room to give them their breakfast. As soon as she has her food she stops!

Evo does this sometimes, maybe once every other week or so, usually around 3am. :roll: I don't know why he does it, he's a house bunny, so I don't think there's much indoors that could scare him. IMO, he's just after attention, and a treat and a fuss usually quietens him down.

Maa sometimes thumps at 3am :roll: I think they just wake up then and want to come out to play - Maa is a lovely sweet rabbit, but she wants me to jump when she says jump (yeah I jump out of my skin! :lol: ) - they can't understand we're asleep when they're not. She's indoors in my kitchen, so she's not scared about anything.

When she was in my bedroom though she never made a sound - I think she's missing me in the kitchen - maybe your rabbit just wants to see you in the middle of the night - hopefully he'll get over it if you leave him, and he'll know what the routine is.

Maa always thumps when I let her out of her hutch too - it's like telling me off for taking sooooo long! Then she thumps if I don't give her food, or open the back door...I worry she'll hurt her foot :?

None of my other rabbits do it.

I have a bunny who thumps in the night,he only does it when theres a fox in the garden so its a good alarm im down there right away chasing the foxes off,i cover my rabbits iver at night and put things in front of the hutches too,so if any think fancys there chances they will make a load of a noise and I'll hear.
Also get some extra chicken wire if you havent already done so to fox proof the front of the hutches,im finding the hutches they make nore are large grill holes on the fronts which is easy for the foxes to get there teeth in and grip,its all it takes for them to pull the entire front off a hutch,where as the chicken wire its too small to get a grip,thank goodness.

luke_1292 said:
I have been keeping rabbits for 4 years now so i know what they require and dont require!
.....but with bunnies you can NEVER stop learning :wink: . I have picked up lots of very good information and advice from many knowledgable people on here. I will NEVER know EVERYTHING about Rabbits!! :wink: :D :D Jane and Buns xx

Gosh this reminds me...

A fair few years ago now the neighbours dog broke in and killed six of my guineapigs. The neighbour insisted it was a fox but the signs were all wrong, I was sure it was a terrier. I was heartbroken.

Anyway.. a couple of nights later I heard a massive fuss.. all the rabbits thumping. So, picture it: Me, in my nightie. Shovel in hand.. sneaking down the garden... Absolutely cr*pping myself...

Turned out one of my bucks had got out and he was spraying all the other bucks and BOY they were not impressed! :lol:

Id like to no that too because my boy does it all the time at night, we tried to have him as a house bunny in our bedroom but he woke us up all night thumping so loudly! Then we tried him down staires and we thought we were getting burgled becuase it sounded like someone was trying to bash the door down :lol: Hes normally such a docile man.
bry

bothmy house buns could sense there was a cat or fox in the garden even though there is another room between the front room adn conservatory, they couldnt see through and i cant imagine that they could smell them with the windowsadn doors shut, but still they would thump, on checking, every time there was something out there. bizarre how sensitive they are. Buddy wouldnt settle until we had gone outside and checked adn come back in again!!

Dont think thre was any reason to jump down quinns throat though eh!! only trying to help with ideas here!

Good luck finding out whats distressing your bun. Hopefully once you get to the bottom of it then he will be much happier.

JCO said:
luke_1292 said:
I have been keeping rabbits for 4 years now so i know what they require and dont require!
.....but with bunnies you can NEVER stop learning :wink: . I have picked up lots of very good information and advice from many knowledgable people on here. I will NEVER know EVERYTHING about Rabbits!! :wink: :D :D Jane and Buns xx

I couldnt agree more

this post reminds me of my smudgy. when i got my first house i had four bunnies in the back "garden" but he used to stamp in the early hours. i slept at the front of the house and it woke me up and it got so bad that i was worried the neighbours would complain :shock: :oops: in the end i had to ask my dad to look after him because he could live in the shed again, he bonded with two girls and to this day i still don't know why he would stamp :?

Poppy stamps

not sure why, she has an outdoor hutch, 2 tiered and gets lots of fuss and attention from us and a free run of the lounge for 4 hours every night. She stamps at about 3 in the morning, i have a blanket and plastic cover secured over her hutch. The only time she stamps in the day is when i cover it over if its raining!!

Think it may be to do with our sensitive security light on the back garden, but i want to leave it on to protect her (and me - OH works nights) from prediters! :twisted:

the weather was really bad the other night, severe wind and rain, and she didnt stomp!! i was that worried about her i went out in my dressing gown, smuggled her in her carry box and took her up to bed with me.

Peace! the weather kept me awake more!

then....an hour later she starts stamping!!! :?

not sure on the theory behind this - shes my first bunny!!

Maa's out in the hutch for the first time tonight - she's stomping already! She didn't want to be shut in the top, but I'm worried about foxes if she's left in the run all night, which is what she wanted :?

I notice all these bunnies freak out at 3am...strange :shock:

Back