• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting second rabbit and cage size

Henry

New Kit
Hi. I have a 1 year old male netherland dwarf (neutered and vaccinated). I was considering getting him a friend. Does this seem like a good idea? We (partner and I) are still a bit unsure about getting a second rabbit though we worry he perhaps gets a bit lonely in the day. I used to spend more time at home in the day but that has decreased in the last few months. He is a house rabbit and gets good run arounds in the evenings and has a run outside. I've never had two bonded rabbits and was wondering how likely it is to work? Whether people have recommendations of places that would help with bonding in the Cambridgeshire area? And also currently he has a ferplast deluxe 100 which I feel is a bit small for him and probably small for two. Does anyone have recommendations of good indoor rabbit cages? Ideally though the longest dimension for the ferplast deluxe just fits in the gap so it could go higher though perhaps not longer??

Thanks very much for any advice.

/

getting him a friend would be a great idea as most rabbits benefit from company of their own kind.
Regarding a cage...you can always use an outdoor hutch in the space..you could buy one very reasonably...look for a double decker . Or a dog crate to which you could add a shelf to give your bun/s more space. Good luck! :D

Hiya *waves* Getting your bunny a friend sounds like a great idea! I'd suggest you contact Caroline at the Rabbit Residence rescue which is near Royston. She has around 40 bunnies all neutered/vaccinated and is happy to do the bonding at her premises. Her contact details are email rabbit_residence@hotmail.com or 07904 397378. I'm sure she'd also be happy to give you advice on what she is happy with as a size for an indoor cage - lots of people here seem to use dog cages, as you can also build in an extra shelf to create more space. There is also another rescue with loads of bunnies near Royston, you will find those details on here too: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp You can have a look at some of the bunnies available in your area from the main rabbitrehome pages, I know that Caroline has loads more than are uploaded there at the moment, so don't be put off that there don't seem to be many!

On my home pc I've got a link to a site which sells dog crates really cheaply, I'll try and remember to dig the link out later. It's something like dogcrates4u but I can't remember exactly.

Good luck - let us know how you get on :D

A nero 3 is a nice size cage,but you could also use a puppy pen,then they can have a run around,yes its a good idea to get another bunny if thats what you want,cant see no reason why not, :D

Back