• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying a bonded female

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi Folks!

Hope you are all well!

My little Daisy is being spayed on wednesday and ive been told by the vet and the lady who I board my bunsters with that its best to leave Denzil at home as he may aggrivate the stitches/wound after the op and may cause damage. I agree with this but just wanted peoples views on seperating a bonded pair - im worried about how he will accept her when shes home as I will have to seperate them at night as the cage they have isnt really suitable for Daisy when shes recovering - Denzil has a tendancy to push the bed off the shelf whether Daisys in it or not :shock: :roll: :lol: they think its a good game to play :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I were you I'd put Daisy in a small cage for a few days, next to Denzil, in his playpen if he has one - their bond won't break if they are right with each other, and she needs to be restricted for a few days as too much running and jumping will pull her stitches.

i'm taking my little girl to be spayed on friday but as she is bonded with one of my males i'm gonna use m 2 dog cages and put them next to eachother and while she is at vets will keep her man with me all day for company.

I think it depends on whether your male humps the femail alot.

The lady i got Holly from at the rescue says that she more of less puts the male back in with the femail who comforts the femail - obviously being careful that there is no humping.

when i get Holly done I am going to keep her in a cage inside with Alfie in the run inside and depending on how she recovers i will put them back in together (inside) the following day.

Alfie is very sweet natured and never humps her so reckon they'll be ok.

Yeah, I have a spare cave all ready to put next to their normal one. Ive been told to keep them together but watch them in the day time and seperate them at night when I obviously cant keep an eye on them.

Back