• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

breathing

touie

Wise Old Thumper
am I being paranoid? Amy's breathing really fast and shallow so her body is shaking I'm a bit worried that somethings up. She's not been any less lively than usual and her wounds look ok but she did get grumpy with my son earlier which is most unlike her :shock:

edit: just thinking she did let me put the cream on her wound tonight without any struggle at all which is a bit odd too! :?

Hiya. Fast breathing in a rabbiit can indicate pain, stress, fear or over-heating. It is NOT normal. It is hard to suggest what might be wrong in Amy's case but if her breathing does not return to normal within a short time there is a problem. Jane and Buns xx

thanks. I'll keep an eye on her, I've put her back in her cage now in case she hurt herself when she was charging around. The only other thing i can think of that could have stressed her out was me giving her the antibiotics. I'd been doing quite well with them but tonight was a bit of a struggle and half of it ended up round her mouth! :(

It's funny you should mention this, I was about to post something about Storm's breathing. He sometimes shakes while he's breathing. Is Amy's breathing sort of like a dog panting? this is how Storm's is. The vet told me not to worry at the time of his boy op, she said it was common in big breeds ( he's a frenchie too) but I'm not so sure, I've never heard of this before and I really hope someone can come up with something!
Has Amy done this before?

Yes it is a bit like a dog panting but very fast and shallow, I've not noticed her doing it before but could easily have missed it.

Regardless of size/breed of rabbit fast breathing that makes the buns body move a lot is NOT NORMAL if it persists even if the 'stressor' is removed...ie source of pain addressed, cause of fear removed, over-heating resolved. Giant rabbit breeds are more prone to heart problems. Something which needs to be considered if Bun has several episodes of 'fast breathing' for no apparent reason or after slight exersion. A rabbits 'normal' respiration rate is 32-60 breaths per minute and the buns body should not show obvious exersion on each breath. Neither should the breathing be noisy. Jane and Buns xx

I think she's on about 2 breaths a second and the moment but its not at all noisy and she's eating and moving about ok :?

my giant was diagnosed with a galloping heart beat. though it didnt affect her much. my vet said it seemed to be more common with giants.
worthwhile checking for a heart prob maybe? :?

she was ok first thing, she's breathing really quickly again now but she's been charging around

yes she was due to go for a check up today will try and make an appointment for later :D

got an appt at 5.50 :D she's got to have her stitches and privates checked today as well

Storm was doing the fast breathing/panting/slightly shaking again last night. I'm getting worried now, although he seems fine in him self. He races around like a loony, eats very well and is a very happy boy.
He seems to only do this breathing when he's laying down or sleeping, not while he's playing, eating standing. Does Amy do her strange breathing mainly when she's relaxing?.
Please let us know how Amy gets on at the vets. I will have to get Storm checked over too, just to be sure.

When I take Storm to be checked, what should I ask my vet to check and look out for? I'm guessing breathing and his heart rate, is there anything else? and is there anything I should be taking note of?

What a doughnut I am, I got so involved talking about her wounds that i forgot to mention the breathing! I guess i'll just keep an eye on it and see how she is. As for the wounds the vet was very pleased with the way they're healing :D Taking her back for a checkup again next week as there was a slightly swollen bit still that she wants to keep an eye on!

Back