• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Opinions please?

anon101

Banned
Well we went to have a measure up at the back yard of our new house today.

We’ve worked out we can get a 7x5ft shed and possibly two triple decker hutches in there as well (got my eye on the Ryedale one’s! :D http://www.rehutches.com/triplehutch03.htm).

The idea is to have one big Rabbit run to make the best use of the space and let the Rabbits out in rotation throughout the day.

My question is how many Rabbits do you think we can comfortably fit in the 7x5ft shed? (We will be kiting the shed out with different levels/ramps etc and they will have at least four hours exercise outside the shed in a decent size Rabbit run. All the Rabbits will be small/medium sized in the shed).

Thanks,

Louise

I think if you put the hutches in the shed you won't have much room left :lol: I have two and they wouldn't even fit in the door of a shed. But they are well made and with covers they are warm enough to use outside. Look out though they are not really tall enough for rabbits unless you get them to add some extra height, which I did on the second one. The first I am supposed to use for piggies and nethies, although I have got small rabbits in it at the mo as they are bigger than the other options available right now.

For inside the shed I bought three tiered indoor hutches from happyhutch, but again these are not tall enough for rabbits, and my shed is 12 by 6, so rather bigger. I have one each end for the piggies and a group of 3 rabbits have the floor and the tops as they are good climbers :lol: You might get happy hutch to make you a taller version, but I don't think you would fit more than one block in there. So if you are rotating rabbits you could fit three pairs in and let the bottom set use the floor and the other two groups use the outdoor run, or whatever.

Sorry I didn’t explain that very well! :oops:

I'm planning to have the two triple decker's outside the shed (making sure they’re well weatherproofed and have some sort of hutch cover as well) and keep the 7x5ft shed just for a group of Rabbits. :D

What I wanted to know was how many Rabbits will I comfortably fit in a 7x5ft shed?

The Rabbit run would be built aviary style around all of the above to make it totally secure and give them plenty of space. It would just be a matter of opening the doors on the shed/hutches throughout the day so each group got a good few hours’ exercise. Save having to lift Rabbits in/out of there cages this way. :D

Louise

i've got two frenchies living in a 7x5 so i think if they were medium rabbits and the were different levels you'd easily get four in, maybe more :D

my shed's 5x8 so a similar size, and it was too small for 5 when Maa was there I think - seems fine for 4 though - got 3 enormous litter trays in there and a patio chair, chubes, wooden box etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :) Might have to re-work the original plan a bit as I was hoping to add to my already bonded trio while still giving them all lots of room.

Louise

Back