• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

veggie question

babylops

Young Bun
i have been feeding my bunns parsely for a couple of weeks. i was wondering what i should staret them on yet. are they ready for another veggie and how much parsely can i feed them each day. i have been feeding them only like 3 or 4 stalks (like 5 inches tall). let me know

erin

ps is romane lettuce ok and what about cabage. even if these things are ok i dont want to feed them a fatning veggie. but somthing like parsely

I'm a big believer of giving buns lots of fresh, leafy greens every day. Parsley is one of my Chomper's favorites! I give her a variety (about three different kinds) of fresh greens every day, and she gets a small amount of fruits or veggies as a treat as well. She also has free access to good quality timothy hay, and she eats about 1/4 cup of high quality pellets every day as well.

When I first brought Chomper home, I gave her too many fresh greens too quickly, and she came down with a mild touch of diarrhea. I started slowly increasing the amount of fresh greens given to her each day, and now she's given a large handful of greens twice a day.

After Chomper came down with diarrhea that first time, I started introducing new greens/veggies/fruits to her one at a time and giving her about a week to adjust before adding a new one. That seems to have worked well for her, but every bun's digestive system is a touch different.

The following greens can be given to your buns:
Alfalfa sprouts
Apple Mint
Basil
Beet Greens
Bok Choy (Chinese cabbage)
Broccoli leaves and stems (Note: broccoli can cause gas in some bunnies, and it is high in calcium, so it should not be given to bunnies who have any urinary tract problems, such as bladder sludge)
Brussels sprouts
Carrot tops
Celery (especially the leaf) (Note: to avoid any potential problems, slice or chop the celery against the grain so the veins aren't stringy - veins can be swallowed without proper chewing and can cause serious gastrointestinal problems)
Chard
Cilantro (no roots)
Clover & clover sprouts
Collard greens
Dandelion greens & flowers
Dill
Endive
Escarole
Fennel
Green pepper
Lettuce: romaine (only limited amounts, may cause excess cecals), green leaf, red leaf (no iceberg)
Mint
Mustard greens
Parsley
Peapods (flat)
Peppermint leaves
Pineapple-mint
Pineapple-sage
Radicchio
Radish sprouts & tops
Raspberry leaves
Sweet potatoes
Turnip greens (tops)
Watercress
Wheat grass

The following fruits can be fed to your buns (in small amounts!):
Apple
Banana
Blueberry
Craisin
Melon
Papaya
Peach
Pear
Plum
Pineapple
Pumpkin
Raisin
Raspberry
Strawberries

I wouldn't worry too much about "fatty vegetables." Most of them are pretty healthful. The two things that you want to worry about with greens, fruits and veggies are calcium and sugar. Foods that are high in calcium (spinach and kale) can cause problems for buns with a history of urinary tract issues. Foods that are too high in sugar (carrots, most fruits) aren't good for the bun's teeth or overall health. The best rule is "all good things in moderation." A little sugar/calcium is okay, but don't go overboard.

Hope that helps!

good advice - and yes romaine lettuce is fine, but parsley has more calcium in it than any other veg almost - but usually only a sprig or 2 is given so that's OK.

Lettuce is too succulent to be a good choice to feed regularly, although if you have a bit left over it won't hurt on occasion. A better choice for a second veg to introduce would be spring greens or cauliflower leaves. They love these and they are good for them.

Back