• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leave outside??

nicolar

Mama Doe
I've just put Princess back outside in her shed for the day, she has been inside since Fri evening cos she had a dental. Fully recovered now and kept me awake half the night jumping over boxes and getting stuck places!! I felt mean putting her back in her shed though as she just loved it indoors!

It's not as cold as it has been recently cos of the rain, but I'm not sure whether to bring her in again tonight or just leave her out now she is out there? She has her Snugglesafe so she won't get cold. I'm just not sure whether the sudden change from inside to outside is worse than bringing her in again tonight + then back out again tomorrow. Any ideas!!?

Nicola

Thanks :) I think she will be fine, I just worry! I was going to pop her in the shed yesterday during the day but nobody was around to keep an eye on her and she still wasn't 100% so I kept her in. I'm glad I did as today she is back to being usual Princess :D

How often do you think Alfie will need dentals? I've never had a bun with dental problems before so picking up bits and pieces as I go!!

Nicola

nicolar said:
Thanks :) I think she will be fine, I just worry! I was going to pop her in the shed yesterday during the day but nobody was around to keep an eye on her and she still wasn't 100% so I kept her in. I'm glad I did as today she is back to being usual Princess :D

How often do you think Alfie will need dentals? I've never had a bun with dental problems before so picking up bits and pieces as I go!!

Nicola
Well he had a dental 4 weeks ago,and pervious to that had one 2 months before,so i should think quite often

Thanks. Does he have any teeth missing? From what I remember you saying, he doesn't eat hay does he? Princess won't either and I think it's just too difficult for her cos she only has 1 molar on each side on bottom jaw!

Just been up to see Princess, she doesn't look too pleased with me! She was snuggled up in her bed on her Snugglesafe. She looks little chilly (although not freezing!), now not sure what to do with her tonight!!

nicolar said:
Thanks. Does he have any teeth missing? From what I remember you saying, he doesn't eat hay does he? Princess won't either and I think it's just too difficult for her cos she only has 1 molar on each side on bottom jaw!
Yes he has one bottom molar missing which is prob what caused his bone absess
no he wont eat hay :(

These naughty bunnies!! I did catch Princess with a strand in her mouth yesterday but only half chewed it, I think she finds it difficult!

Ive put alfie and truffle together now(see stories and photos!),im hoping she will encourge him to eat hay!

I hope that she does encourage him to eat hay, it's so annoying when they won't! I'm lucky in that Princess will eat grass + plants but on days she can't go on the grass I'd rather she munched on hay!!

My bunny has teeth problems too, hasn't had to have any major dentals for quite a while now, but has his front teeth trimmed monthly. He can't eat hay either despite trying sometimes. Just wondered if your two bunnies that can't eat hay suffer from messy bottoms or do you still restrict the dry food? I've just changed my bunny over to Science Selective from Exel and think he's improved a bit but still not perfect. He is also fussy about vegetables and I'm not sure if they upset his stomach more, so I don't end up giving him too much. He will only eat greens when he feels like it, so tends to just get a bit of carrot and broccoli each day. Should I be restricting his dry food even though he can't eat hay and giving him more veg to improve his tummy? Are there some veg that are better for sensitive stomachs than others? I would be grateful for some advice as its hard to know what to do for the best.

Hiya
Alfie hasnt had any sticky bottom probs,he has s/s food too,he gets veggies everyday,carrot,cabbage,spring greens,brociali,apple etc,he has about 3 of each veg twice a day
I wont limet his dry food as he needs to fibre

Princess has never suffered from messy bottom, very lucky really! She is on Allen and Page pellets, I don't give her unlimited pellets but she isn't on strict rations! Luckily she eats grass + plants so not too worried bout fibre. She loves veggies and can eat anything. I'd try a small amount of one veggie one at a time to see what he can tolerate and what he can't. I would stick to the darker veggies as they will prob be better for him. Carrot has a lot of sugar in + this may be contributing to his messy bottom. Herbs such as parsley and mint are also good.

Princess' incisors have needed trimming twice, will have to see how often it needs doing in the months to come. I'm hoping she won't need major dentals too regularly, will have to learn as I go along!!

Nicola

Back