• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hemp litter vs megazorb, which one???

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Is Hemp litter good? how does it compare to wood shavings? is it as cost effective? how soft is it? is it safe if pets eat it? can I also use it for Chinchillas?.
I'm just looking around for an alternative to wood shavings as the last few batches I got were a lot more dusty ( even though they were dust extracted) and I'm worried that this may be bad for my pets. I see that bunny basics sell hemp litter, do any of you buy it?

I think it was colliewoman? said on another thread that she uses it and loves it - I've never tried it, I use megazorb.

I use hemp litter for the chinchillas and it is great. It is also great for any long haired rabbits, hamsters etc.

It is not particularly soft though, so is not suitable for nesting as such.

Vera

I have switched to it very recently and I love it.

I won't use it with guineapigs because of the way they move and their little bare feet. They have been getting a little bit of it mixes with woodshavings.

The buns and smaller rodents are getting on really well with it. The buns get some straw on top and the littler rodents get their normal paper nesting material. It's really really absorbent and much less dusty.

Allegedly it composts really well but I've switched too recently to know about that! :lol:

I paid £7.09 for a huge bale thing... not quite as big as the woodshaving bale but I think it is better.

It's really weird.. the sound you make when you pour it out sounds almost like glass... I was expecting it to be really pointy, but it isn't. It's quite rough, but not nasty. You can buy it in little bags too. They are really poor value compared to a huge bale, but I bought one to try it out before I bought a big bag.

I saw a huge bail for 6.99. the glass sound does seem weird though! :lol: . I would mainly be using it in the litter trays and digging boxes ( with straw on top) or as a floor covering in my chinchilla's cage. do you know if it's safe for my chin to eat it? he does tend to nibble on anything.

elve said:
I think it was colliewoman? said on another thread that she uses it and loves it - I've never tried it, I use megazorb.

Where do you get megazorb from elve? I've been looking for it online, plenty of good reviews but can't find a supplier :?
I don't know if hemp or megazorb would be best :?

Hi,

I have read about Megazorb aswell and see that the only place that sells it online is a place called bunny mail but when I have clicked any of the links to their site it comes back as not avalible. :(
If you find anywhere else that sells this online can you let me know to please!!!! :D

I prefer megazorb. I use it for all the buns, guinea pigs, chinchillas and small rodents. Its nice and soft and wont cause skin problems like shavings etc. I tried Hemcore a few weeks ago but it was awful, nowhere near as absorbant and I cant imagine it would be too nice to walk on either.

Cheryl

HI

Thanks sparklefairy for the info on where to get it from, will look out for it on their site, I have read about this megazorb on so many sites and everyone has said how good it is, so now looking forward to trying it our for my bunnies and guinea pigs.

Belinda :D

bunnybasics now have megazorb for £8.99 for 13kg is this a good price? as well as the hemp litter which is £6.99 for a 48L bail
I want to make an order for lots of bunny stuff for my babies this week, but STILL can't decide which litter will be best. :roll:

Belinda said:
Hi,

I have read about Megazorb aswell and see that the only place that sells it online is a place called bunny mail but when I have clicked any of the links to their site it comes back as not avalible. :(
If you find anywhere else that sells this online can you let me know to please!!!! :D

I get it from http://www.ukpetsupplies.co.uk/ where it costs £9.95 plus postage, I get two bags at a time which works out at about £12 a bag. Double the price of a local supplier but still cheaper than bunnymail and most of the other litters I've looked at.

the happy bee said:
I get it from http://www.ukpetsupplies.co.uk/ where it costs £9.95 plus postage, I get two bags at a time which works out at about £12 a bag. Double the price of a local supplier but still cheaper than bunnymail and most of the other litters I've looked at.

Thats a great link! They sell science selective as well, and their postage rate are good too!!!

It's also very environmetally friendly & it will help british farmers in the long run if we keep buying it!!!
Hemp growing is what the government are looking into for alternative crops for farmers who are struggling & research has gone really well so far :thumb:

Personally I really don't like megazorb. It is very absorbant but the smell of it makes my stomach churn. It is awful, like a strange musty smell. But I do seem to have a very sensitive sense of smell. I smell things no one else can :roll:

Back