• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to encourage a bun who wont eat????

As some of you know Iv just fostered Bertrice,she wont eat rabbit food at all,doesnt really touch her hay either,shes very thin,iv managed to get her to eat some cabbage and parsley but thats it,i really need to build her up shel waste away :( Dont no how people can let a animal get so bad! :evil: Any advise will be good as im worryed.Just to add her teeth are fine,and shes pooing ok too

Have you got any science recovery that you can make up and syringe feed her, or even try her with some porridge oats mixed up with water and see if she will eat that. You could always try making the porridge quite runny and see if you can syringe feed her that also. If she is on Pellets then you can soften that to with water and try syringe feeding that.

We use Critical Care which the rabbits seem to like a lot more than Science Recovery - I can give you some to take away and try when you visit later.
Sometimes bunnies need a little bit of time to adjust and don't eat much when they first arrive. If it continues it's just a matter of trial and error - give her a bit of everything and anything!
Try not to worry too much - as long as she eats a little, she'll be OK.

Thank you thats nice of you,I will buy some off you,do you know where i can get a big suringe from??I only have the tiny ones which you give Batril with? Alos this supreme recovery iv seen online for £19.00 for 10 sachets how long will this box last???

Give your vet a call. He/she should be able to provide you with both a syringe and some medically sound advice on how to encourage your bun to eat.

Some practical advice... just keep trying different greens. Below is a list (stolen from www.3bunnies.org, a favorite rescue in my area) of greens that are safe and good for bunnies to eat.

Alfalfa sprouts
Apple Mint
Basil
Beet Greens
Bok Choy (Chinese cabbage)
Broccoli leaves and stems (Note: broccoli can cause gas in some bunnies, and it is high in calcium, so it should not be given to bunnies who have any urinary tract problems, such as bladder sludge)
Brussels sprouts
Carrot tops
Celery (especially the leaf) (Note: to avoid any potential problems, slice or chop the celery against the grain so the veins aren't stringy - veins can be swallowed without proper chewing and can cause serious gastrointestinal problems)
Chard
Cilantro (no roots)
Clover & clover sprouts
Collard greens
Dandelion greens & flowers
Dill
Endive
Escarole
Fennel
Green pepper
Lettuce: romaine (only limited amounts, may cause excess cecals), green leaf, red leaf (no iceberg)
Mint
Mustard greens
Parsley
Peapods (flat)
Peppermint leaves
Pineapple-mint
Pineapple-sage
Radicchio
Radish sprouts & tops
Raspberry leaves
Sweet potatoes
Turnip greens (tops)
Watercress
Wheat grass

I've learned from trial and error that there are some greens on that list that Chomper will simply inhale and others that she'll eat reluctantly and only when she's really hungry.

Good luck!

The sachets have a long life as long as they aren't opened or do you mean how many meals will you get out of the box?
I'm popping down the surgery to get an antibiotic in a minute - I'll pick you up a big syringe then.

try anything to tempt her to eat even if its stuff like toast anything to tempt the bunny in eating something

lisa

donna-arc said:
The sachets have a long life as long as they aren't opened or do you mean how many meals will you get out of the box?
I'm popping down the surgery to get an antibiotic in a minute - I'll pick you up a big syringe then.

Yes i was wondering how many meals youd get out of a sachet??Is it one sachet a day?Thanks everyone for your advise :D

Back