• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch

I've noticed bald patches on both my bunnies necks. They are getting along well so I don't think they've been fighting and I can't see any parasites on them. There is not blood or scabs it's just bare skin. Here are acouple of pictures,
Millie's bald patch (sorry you can't see very well)
baldpatchMillie.jpg

And Ruby's
BaldpatchRuby.jpg

It's only the area I have circled in that picture, Ruby has always had thin fur on her neck since I got her but you can see the spots.
Does anybody know what is causing this and should I take them to the vets?

Have they been mounting each other? It looks like it might be a bald bit caused by little bunny paws trying to grip onto the others back!! Could just be that they are a bit frisky because spring is coming and they are doing some frisky and/or dominance mounting?

my sister got 2 baby rabbits from a rescue centre and went to vets to get them vaccinated, a few days later found bald patches very similer, the vets said it was a reaction to the injection and it just went
bry

Chomper went through a very similar "bald period" when we first brought her home. We were told that the buns she was housed with were pulling out her fur, but the baldness continued even after she had moved into our home, and since she's an only bun, we were really confused.

Even more confusing was when the bald patch started to grow. It started out as just a small patch between her shoulder blades, but it grew to cover the upper half of her back and continued a bit down her shoulders. I couldn't see any irritation or scabbing, but when it continued, I took her to our vet. The vet said that she didn't have any parasites.

A few weeks later, her hair just suddenly started to grow back in. Not long after, she started to have a mini-molt. Now the bald patches are totally gone, and she's got a beautiful, soft coat.

Skip has had bald patches a few times !!!

It wasn't mites and there was no scab or anything just a bald patch, it was also behind his head on his neck.
He is an only bunny so no other buns did it but they went away and the fur grew back no problems :mrgreen:

Back