• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twiglet not eating

houndour

Warren Scout
Gave eeyore and twiglet some spot treatment for mites last night. She ate straight after the treatment.

But this morning she wont touch her food. Just phoned vet and have been told to force feed her baby food with a syringe. I'm about to go to shop to get some.

How long can a rabbit go without food?

Other than that she's ok, but fidgety. I just picked her up and checked her over, I cant see anything wrong. The area where I put the spot treatment looks fine (no rash or anything).

She keeps tapping her front feet. I don't know if shes just stroppy and in a mood with me or is ill.

She acted this way once before and didn't eat one evening, I worried all night, but first thing in the morning she ate again. This was months ago now.

Was the 'Spot on' treatment one you got from your Vet or from a Pet Shop? With regards to a bun not eating they really should not be left without intervention (syringe feeds, gut motility drug, pain relief, fluid therapy) for more that 12 hours. I would try to get about 20mls of feed into her every 2-3 hours. I she has also stopped passing poops and does not improve by late THIS AFTERNOON I would contact your Vet again. Hope she starts eating soon. Please keep us posted. Jane and Buns xx

spot treatment was from vets.

I've just syringed her food and although she reacted like it was baytril she's taken it well and seems to relaxing a bit now.

Thanks for the advice.

I remember Binky wouldn't eat at all after he had to go to the vet. The vet had given us a crushed tablet to put in his food, but the only problem was, Binky wasn't eating any food! But things gradually got better and he started to eat a little bit of natural yoghurt (which was recommended but the vet) and then he started to eat again.

Zinneia went like this one morning - I mixed a crushed raspberry rennie rapize (for wind) half a soluble asprin (for pain) a crushed bromelain tablet (the pineapple enzyme) and a tsp of probiotics with 100ml warm water and syringed her a few tsps - she loved the raspberry flavour and was sucking on the syringe after a few goes at it! she was back to normal after digesting that for an hour - phew! Don't know if it was the medicine or 'just one of those things they do'

Hope Twiglet is OK soon!

yer sorry to hear twiglets isnt eating i really hope shes ok!! ps my rex is called twigglets to hehe!! gd luck and i hope she eats soon, keep us posted!!

I think you should start off with small things and see how she gets on. Start with easy simple food. Sometime I give Binky probiotic natural yoghurt but not so often because I'm not 100% sure about it but I heard that it's very good for his digestive system and when Binky stopped eating, I offered him natural yoghurt and he began to eat it after a while. Then, eventually he started eating other things.

Look for probiotic natural yoghurt in your local supermarket and perhaps put a spoonful on a small tray for her. She might not eat it but then again she might. It's worth a try. You could try other probiotical things as well.

AprilShower said:
I think you should start off with small things and see how she gets on. Start with easy simple food. Sometime I give Binky probiotic natural yoghurt. It's very good for his digestive system and when Binky stopped eating, I offered him natural yoghurt and he began to eat it after a while. Then, eventually he started eating other things.

Look for probiotic natural yoghurt in your local supermarket and perhaps put a spoonful on a small tray for her. She might not eat it but then again she might. It's worth a try.
Probiotics are a good idea :thumb: but personally I would NOT give a bunny yoghurt. Rabbits are Lactose intollerant (Lactose is a form of sugar found in milk products) You can buy various probiotics suitable for rabbits such as Bio Lapis or Avipro-Plus. Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
AprilShower said:
I think you should start off with small things and see how she gets on. Start with easy simple food. Sometime I give Binky probiotic natural yoghurt. It's very good for his digestive system and when Binky stopped eating, I offered him natural yoghurt and he began to eat it after a while. Then, eventually he started eating other things.

Look for probiotic natural yoghurt in your local supermarket and perhaps put a spoonful on a small tray for her. She might not eat it but then again she might. It's worth a try.
Probiotics are a good idea :thumb: but personally I would NOT give a bunny yoghurt. Rabbits are Lactose intollerant (Lactose is a form of sugar found in milk products) You can buy various probiotics suitable for rabbits such as Bio Lapis or Avipro-Plus. Jane and Buns xx

The yoghurt was recommended by a vet but he said as long as it was NATURAL and PROBIOTIC it's good for them.

I'm afraid Jane is right - and a lot of vets know little about modern rabbit medicine - as you will sadly hear after a few months on this forum - shocks me every time :shock:

AprilShower said:
JCO said:
AprilShower said:

The yoghurt was recommended by a vet himself. It's very good for them.
Guess we agree to disagree on that one then :D Jane and Buns xx

As a rule of thumb, I take some suggestions vets make with a pinch of salt. Not to say they're always wrong. They usually mean well, but often their training means they don't know a great lot about rabbits and tend to generalise from other small animals.

JCO said:
AprilShower said:
JCO said:
AprilShower said:

The yoghurt was recommended by a vet himself. It's very good for them.
Guess we agree to disagree on that one then :D Jane and Buns xx

:lol:

Thanks for all the advice people. Its nearly 11:30pm and I was preparing a syringe of baby food for twiggy when my bf saw her eating greens :D

She didn't eat much of it, but the fact that she was eating on her own will must be a positive sign. We're leaving her for a bit and will give her more baby food and water before we go to bed...just to make sure.

Back