• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chewing stitches after spey - this may help

luvhandles

Young Bun
Hi,

I'd like to share this with you as it may help somebody. When I had Snowball speyed last year she was a little monkey and chewed her stitches on the first night.......I slept by her side and although she had her head down, I assumed that she was maybe licking the wound because as the vet used a special stitching technique with internal knots and sealed the wound with surgical glue, I didn't think she would be able to do any damage but she did :shock: The next morning she had a huge gaping hole and I had to whizz her back to the vet who was amazed how on earth she had managed to lick the glue away and get to the stitches. She was stapled up and had an Elizibethan collar fitted which she managed to get off before I had even left the surgery :roll:
In the end, we loosley bandaged her middle and made a little jacket out of and old childrens sweater and it worked! She didn't bother with her wound again. I've posted this because it may help somebody - please watch your bun for chewing stitches......to this day I'm still traumatised by the image of that gaping wound :cry:
Here's a pic of Snowball in her special jacket 8)
Snowball4.jpg

Hayley

aaaw she looks so sweet! How long did she wear it for? did it not get dirty? I was thinking of this this afternoon when going trough the internet and reading similar stories. must be so traumatising to see your bun like that!

Vera

i like her outfit! Phoebe pulled her stitches out as well and had a hole in her tummy :shock: She had to be stapled but didn't try to get those out luckily :D

She wore it for 10 days until the staples were removed. luckily, it didn't get dirty as we cut it out underneath so that urine wouldn't catch it.

Hayley

awwww! :love: she looks like such a sweet baby!. I know what you mean about the wound though. I had a rat that pulled all his stitches out after a tumour was removed, it was such a massive hole for a tiny little creature, it freaked me right out! :shock:

What a great idea - thank you to everyone with the tips on the aftercare of spaying!

She looked soo cute in her sweater - may help for the cold nights for outdoor buns?!

DSC00069.jpg

sorry the picture is so big! - new to posting pictures!

Im trying to make one of those little jackets as im getting my bun spayed in two weeks, thought id get prepared now, I can see on the pic that the back legs go through it but have you sewed it to get it to fit properly? iv bought a cheap baby grow, smallest i could find but the bottom of it just seems to hang around her bum area and wouldn'y really do much good!!! :roll:
Great idea though. i would be mortified if she chewed her stitches open!!!
Amanda

looking at the pic, I think it's a longish teeshirt, sleeves cut off, and holes cut in the side seams for the back legs to go through? She said she'd cut away a bit from the front so it didn't get wet, but I would prefer to have 7 pink teeshirts, all flowerdy or striped maybe - new one every day? Or is that getting totally carried away playing dress up bunnies? :lol:

Back