• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flip Flop spayed yesterday- metacam?

Justine

Mama Doe
Flip flop was spayed yesterday and she was given a pain killer before she came home at about 4pm. I asked for some metacam to give for further discomfort as JCO advised me. When can I give her the first dose of this as the vet said the painkiller she had before coming home lasts for 24 hrs. Should I give it before the 24 hrs is up.?

Justine

ooh you're lucky - my vet wouldn't let me have any even though I begged her :roll:

I wouldn't give your rabbit any till day 2 - Saturday morning :)

Alfie was neutered 3 weeks ago,on a mon morning
I gave him metacam about 2pm the following day as he wouldnt eat

I was getting worried that she was going to be in pain. When I told the vet I wanted some he said they don't usually give it so I said I wanted some in case. I tried to sound like I knew what I was doing. I now have a 10ml bottle of metacam. I don't see why they won't give it if you are going to pay for it.
Flip flop has eaten some apple, spring greens and she has been eating some soggy pellets when I hold them up to her mouth on a spoon. She has also drank about 300 - 350mls of water with added probiotic. She has been led by her bowl all the time since coming home.

Justine

Some vets wont let you have it as it isnt actually licenced for rabbits,my vets always let me have it for rabbits and piggies

Hiya. Sounds like Flip-Flop is recovering OK. You can give her some Metacam today. The dose is 0.1-0.2mg/kg a day. She may only need a dose today but you can repeat it after 24 hours if she appears to be uncomfortable.. The fact she has had a good drink is great. I bet she will be back to her normal self tomorrow. Jane and Buns xx

Ok, thanks. The vet said 2 drops of metacam. Is that the same as the dose above /\ ?
I bought her some vet bed to lie on and had to put a towel where the litter box normally goes because she couldn't get in the box. (she fell asleep half in half out of the box and didn't look at all comfy so had to take it out). Well she has spent the whole time lying on the towel instead of the nice soft vet bed. Typical.

Justine

Justine said:
Ok, thanks. The vet said 2 drops of metacam. Is that the same as the dose above /\ ?
I bought her some vet bed to lie on and had to put a towel where the litter box normally goes because she couldn't get in the box. (she fell asleep half in half out of the box and didn't look at all comfy so had to take it out). Well she has spent the whole time lying on the towel instead of the nice soft vet bed. Typical.

Justine
Each drop of Metacam is equal to 0.05mg. The dose of 0.1-0.2mg/kg/day comes from 'The Textbook of Rabbit Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown (AKA my Bunny Bible!!) Jane and Buns xx

Back