PDA

View Full Version : Rescue or Breeder?

Rex Rabbity
09-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Our 8 month old male Rex has just been neutered and in 2 months time we will be looking for a female companion for him. He is a superb rabbit and very friendly, especially with our young daughter. We really do want another Rex rabbit. We would certainly consider a rescue, but finding one of the same breed in Cornwall (Newquay) may not be so easy. We are also worried about rescue rabbits that have been ill-treated and have become aggressive/problematic because of this. We have been told that the BRC lists breeders of Rex rabbits in Devon. Is a breeder a good option? If so, can anyone recommend one?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/new_rabbit_owner/flopsy.gif

nic99
09-02-2006, 08:29 PM
It would be so nice if you could rescue a rabbit instead of buying from a breeder there are so many rabbits out there looking for new homes and you would be surprised just how many of them are rexes! I think it is rare to find a rabbit that been deeply traumatised by their past experiences. Most rabbits that end up in rescues are a result of kids simply getting bored of them or people moving to new houses where they are no longer allowed to keep pets. I am sure there is someone near you who will be able to point in the direction of a rescue centre in your area.

Sue&Sooty
09-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Failing that I'm sure the wonderful people on here could organise a Bunny Run!! :D

Rex Rabbity
09-02-2006, 08:45 PM
It saddens me to think of people who buy rabbits and put them in tiny hutches with no freedom. This would drive anyone/anything to madness. Why do people think that rabbits should be locked in tiny hutches? Our rabbit has a large double hutch and access to a large run whenever he wants via a catflap. He is also handled daily and comes in the house for a couple of hours every evening. If you cannot give your rabbit at least this much, then why have one as a pet?

racheyrabbit
09-02-2006, 08:49 PM
But many just think that a bunny is an 'easy' pet and don't realise the care and space they require. I don't think people necessarily set out to be cruel, they're just not 'in the know' about how it should be.

Many rescue bunnies are just as friendly and outgoing as any other bunny, and a good rescue will tell you which ones these are. Also, if you've already got an outgoing bun then they would help the confidence of a 'shy' bun. They may also help with the bonding process, letting your bun pick the girlfriend of his choice!

Rex Rabbity
09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Funny thing is, I am the husband of a wife who one day brought home our rabbit as a pet for our 7 year old daughter. She bought him from a local breeder and came home with an 8 week old Rex rabbit and a 3ft outdoor hutch! I thought to myself, no way, this animal will get bored and become agressive. I then built a double 5ft linked hutch in our shed with a catflap giving access to a large run. With daily handling, plenty of space and a good diet, he seems very happy now.

Inimical Me
09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Well done you! Your rabbit sounds like it's living in the lap of luxury!

There are some gorgeous rexes in rescues, and I personally think that you are much more guaranteed to get an animal that isn't aggressive and has no problems from a rescue, because the rescue has had time to find out what kind of personality the animal has, and address any problems. Getting baby rabbits from breeders, it's hard to tell what their personalities will be like as they get older, or if it will be compatible with the rabbit you already have. When you go to a rescue, they'll usually let you introduce your rabbits there. If you can't get to the rescue yourself, they will at least be able to tell you how similar/different each of their rabbits is to yours, character wise. And if you want to rescue from far away, sometimes people here can really help transportation with a bunny run. :)

Estelle
09-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I would only get a rabbit from a rescue home now. I don't think breeders should continue to breed rabbits for sale when there are thousands being put to sleep because there are not enough people to rehome them :( Some RSPCA branches put healthy rabbits to sleep :( I know rex rabbits are gorgeous but please consider giving a home to a rabbit in need no matter what breed it is. I love rex's but i would consider any breed if i get another one, in fact my next rabbit (sshh don't tell OH!) will most likely be an older bun that isn't considered as pretty as others and is less likely to be rehomed!

Leanne
09-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey :)

Welcome to the forum!

There is a single female rex called Willow, 1 yr old on rabbit rehome and she's only in Somerset!!!

Go look!!

Leanne
09-02-2006, 09:43 PM
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?RabAge=LIKE+%27%25%27&RabSex=%25&RabBond=%25&breed=Rex&County=%25&Submit=++Search++

Heres the link :)

Bunny Land
09-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi there,

I would more than recommend getting a Rex from a Rescue. There are lots needing good homes on this website. I myself, have 7 beautiful rescued Rex rabbits. Apart, from one male, who is a bit of a rascal, they are all absolutely loving bunnies. My sister also has 2 rescued Rex female bunnies from this forum and they are absolutely superb bunnies too! I'm sure that as soon as I bond Louis (my naughty bun) with a girly, he will be much calmer, however, he must go for the snip first! Rex bunnies are renowned for being quite docile, loving and easy to bond. I actually have 2 pairs of male bonded Rex rabbits, as you know, a lot of male buns don't always get on, but I find Rex rabbits bond quite easily.

Hope this helps, and good luck in finding a Rex bun (hopefully, a rescue one! :wink: ). It would be a very lucky bun indeed!

Carol

janice
09-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Leanne said
Hey

There is a single female rex called Willow, 1 yr old on rabbit rehome and she's only in Somerset!!!

And she is neutered so the long wait after male neutering is not so essentual, just the wait to let the hormones drop

Janice

Rex Rabbity
09-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks leanne, Willow looks like an ideal rabbit. Already neutered too. That would be a 250 mile round trip, which is a bit far really, but we will enquire.

Bunny Land
09-02-2006, 10:20 PM
How about Pernod in Surrey? She looks gorgeous too! Perhaps a bunny run could be arranged? :) :)

Carol

twilightpagan
09-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Id say a rescue bunny,but then im bias,I have 4 rescues and one i took in from a woman who didnt have a clue.
2 of the bunnys were bitey,but with patience they dont bite at all now infact they lick you.
You wont always get a bitey rabbit,the rescues will tell you the temperment as quite often they have had the bunnys in for many months :( You can even take your bunny in with you to see who he gets on with??If it were me thats what i would do :D

Tamsin
09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Personality wise, with females in particular I'd recommend going for an adult. Female rabbits are more prone to being agressive when their hormones kick in and a sweet little baby can turn into a monster :)

When you get a bun from a rescue what you see is what you get. You can see their personality before you decide to adopt.

They're also often spayed which is handy.

If you do go to a breeder I'd recommend getting an adult retired from breeding rather than a baby.

Tam

Aspen'n'company
09-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Something to keep in mind...rabbits with behavioral problems can usually be fixec. You take wonderful care of your bun and I'm sure that a less than perfectly behaved rabbit would be an amazing animal given the time an effort you give your current bun.

Good luck with any new bun though!

Leanne
09-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks leanne, Willow looks like an ideal rabbit. Already neutered too. That would be a 250 mile round trip, which is a bit far really, but we will enquire.

No worries :) Im sure there will be some people on the forum between Newquay & Somerset though that could arrange a bunny run if You decided she was 'the one'

But if not keep looking on here as there are soooo many that im sure one will come along soon :)

racheld
10-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi, I had my rex boy Loopy neutered last Aug. Wanted to get him a partner and in November (once he was all healed etc) after looking through these pages I contacted Jane Dexter's rescue in Warwickshire who had a beautiful rex girl I thought would be ideal for him.
Unfortunately she'd been promised to a bereaved bunny elsewhere, but Jane had another girl in mind, who had been taken from a horrible situation in a one bed flat with 150 other buns. She was a mixed breed, looking more like a cross between a yeti and a mouse than a rabbit!
I took my boy round and they fell in love in minutes (Jane said it was the first time she'd seen Hazel binky!)
I took the two of them home and kept an eye on them for the first week in case they scuffled, but they have been superb for each other, always washing each others faces and cuddling up.
The time came for Hazel to be neutered (she had been too weighty before due to being cage-bound), and we had a few fights while the hormones settled down, but within 2 weeks they were back in love again.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Hazel may not have been what I would have chosen as a partner to my rex, but they adore each other. A good rescue will look to match the rabbits to each other on terms of personality, which is more important than having a pair of bookends that look nice together.
When I see my two cuddled up my heart melts and I know Loopy couldn't have found a better match.
My only regret was the stress I had after Hazel was neutered when her hormones were everywhere and they looked like they wanted to kill each other. So I'd probably go for a bun that's already neutered.
And also, even though Hazel had been through a nasty experience, and was very nervy, she's so sweet and has come such a long way - when she comes up to me for a fuss, it's so much more rewarding.
I'd be wary of taking an agressive bun, as it upsets me when they go for each other, but, again, a good rescue will know their rabbits individually, and should be willing to guide you (and willing to take the rabbit back if things go wrong).
Good luck.

elve
10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
I think Racheld says it all :)

I've brought 6 females home for my boy to bond with, and he hates them all! - Much better to take him to a rescue and let him choose who he's compatible with (and if you read some other threads about resident males doing serious damage to new girls you'll probably agree!)

I'm all full up now, so my boy is having to stay a bachelor, although that's the way he seems to like it thankfully.

Rex Rabbity
10-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Spoke to the rescue in Somerset today about Willow. She sounds promising. The lady we spoke to said she was paired and brought in with a male lop. They got on fine until they were brought into the rescue. She reckons the stress of the new environment and smaller living area probably contributed to them falling out and therefore eventually being split up. She is a little jumpy now as she has not been handled as often as previously, but is reported to be good natured. They asked if we could come and have a look at Willow first and if we were happy, then they would vet check her and we could take her the next day. All rabbits apparently have to be vet checked first before leaving the rescue. We said this would be a problem, as we live 125 miles away and would have to do it all on the same day. She is having a word with the manager tomorrow to see if the vet can see her first before we pick her up (should be ok).

We were also talking to a friend today who has had rabbits and mentioned taking ours to a rescue to 'choose' a partner. She said the idea is good in theory, but does not always work as they can seem ok to start off with a casual introduction, but after a time fall out. Some rabbits may need more time to bond. To be honest, in this case we would be a bit concerned about taking our rabbit on such a long return journey to Somerset anyway. So.... Do we take a chance and go for Willow? She is what we were looking for (on paper anyway!), the same age as Flopsy, female, same breed, spayed and vaccinated. Or.... Should we wait longer and hope another one turns up nearer home? There is the other issue that Flopsy has only just been neutered on Thursday, although he already seems back to normal is is healing well and not digging his stitches.

racheld
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
maybe it's worth waiting until his stitches are totally healed (and his hormone levels dropped back to what will become the norm for him) and then find a rescue closer to home. the travel would be less stressful for him (and new bun) and if there was a problem it would be easier for the new bunny to go back. Unfortunately there are always lots of bunnies wanting a home.

janice
10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
By getting an animal from a rescue, if you did end up having a problem with them not settling down together, good rescues will allow you to take the rabbit back and choose another rabbit for your bun. Most breeders and pet shops would not give you an option on this.

Janice

elve
10-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Willow sounds perfect, but be aware that Flopsy will still be fertile for at least 6 weeks if she's not spayed yet :)

sarsimp
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Spoke to the rescue in Somerset today about Willow. She sounds promising. The lady we spoke to said she was paired and brought in with a male lop. They got on fine until they were brought into the rescue. She reckons the stress of the new environment and smaller living area probably contributed to them falling out and therefore eventually being split up. She is a little jumpy now as she has not been handled as often as previously, but is reported to be good natured. They asked if we could come and have a look at Willow first and if we were happy, then they would vet check her and we could take her the next day. All rabbits apparently have to be vet checked first before leaving the rescue. We said this would be a problem, as we live 125 miles away and would have to do it all on the same day. She is having a word with the manager tomorrow to see if the vet can see her first before we pick her up (should be ok).

We were also talking to a friend today who has had rabbits and mentioned taking ours to a rescue to 'choose' a partner. She said the idea is good in theory, but does not always work as they can seem ok to start off with a casual introduction, but after a time fall out. Some rabbits may need more time to bond. To be honest, in this case we would be a bit concerned about taking our rabbit on such a long return journey to Somerset anyway. So.... Do we take a chance and go for Willow? She is what we were looking for (on paper anyway!), the same age as Flopsy, female, same breed, spayed and vaccinated. Or.... Should we wait longer and hope another one turns up nearer home? There is the other issue that Flopsy has only just been neutered on Thursday, although he already seems back to normal is is healing well and not digging his stitches.

Hiya - I have been to this rescue a couple of times now to try and handle the buns and piggies to get them used to it/reintroduce it - and I have to say Willow is a gorgeous bun with a lovely nature who Im sure will just need to get a bit of confidence back - she really is a beautiful rabbit :)

Rex Rabbity
10-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Willow is already spayed, she was with a male previously also. We could easily keep the rabbits apart for a while until Flopsy's stitches/hormones settle. We have 2 large hutches stacked ontop of each other in the shed that are joined with a ladder. We can remove the ladder and close the gap up to make them seperate hutches again. Only problem would be access to the run. This is currently through the bottom hutch which has a tunnel and cat flap setup, so he can go in and out of the run anytime during the daytime. We keep it locked at night. We were thinking of putting a wire mesh dividing frame in the middle of the run, so the two rabbits can be separated with equal space, but still see/sniff each other. We would have to physically move the rabbit from the top hutch and put it in the run when the other one is out though. Both me and my partner have got the next 2 weeks off (holidays from work), so we could monitor them a lot more closely through the day.

Leanne
10-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Willow is already spayed, she was with a male previously also. We could easily keep the rabbits apart for a while until Flopsy's stitches/hormones settle. We have 2 large hutches stacked ontop of each other in the shed that are joined with a ladder. We can remove the ladder and close the gap up to make them seperate hutches again. Only problem would be access to the run. This is currently through the bottom hutch which has a tunnel and cat flap setup, so he can go in and out of the run anytime during the daytime. We keep it locked at night. We were thinking of putting a wire mesh dividing frame in the middle of the run, so the two rabbits can be separated with equal space, but still see/sniff each other. We would have to physically move the rabbit from the top hutch and put it in the run when the other one is out though. Both me and my partner have got the next 2 weeks off (holidays from work), so we could monitor them a lot more closely through the day.

Oh thats fab news about Willow :)
I think your set up & modifications sound fine(if the hutches will be big enough when seperated for them to be comfy, after all you wouldn't be letting them together immediately anyway & this way they can get used to each others scent without feeling too threatened. Once they are laying down next to each other against the wire regularly you can then start to introduce them without wire but use a room or area that neither regularly have access too so that they won't feel the need to protect their territory. Once meetings on neutral territory are calm & relaxed you could start allowing them in the run together...etc etc

Oh I do hope they say yes, and like the others have said, any decent rescue will have it in the adoption form that the bunny must go back to them for any reason that you can no longer keep her.

It all sounds like fate to me :wink:

Leanne
10-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Hiya - I have been to this rescue a couple of times now to try and handle the buns and piggies to get them used to it/reintroduce it - and I have to say Willow is a gorgeous bun with a lovely nature who Im sure will just need to get a bit of confidence back - she really is a beautiful rabbit :)

Yay for the reference!! :D

Rex Rabbity
10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Hi leanne, yes both hutches are big, over 5ft long by 2.5 ft wide and high enough for any rabbit to stand up in! BTW, does anyone know how much the adoption fee is for a rescue rabbit? We have never done this before, so just curious. We will of course donate as much extra as we can!

Rex Rabbity
10-02-2006, 09:15 PM
sarsimp, ditto for the reference. It's amazing to know that someone else on the forum knows this rabbit! Hopefully, we can get everything sorted tomorrow and a happy future for Willow & Flopsy....

sarsimp
10-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes that would be great :D

sarsimp
11-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Any news yet? :)

Rex Rabbity
11-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Phoned the rescue again this morning. They are closed on Monday and our car is booked in for a service & MOT on Tuesday :( . So, we have arranged for the vet check on Tuesday and we will drive up and collect Willow on Wednesday. We are now making the modifications to the run and hutches ready for Wednesday. Flopsy has really bounced back well from his op, and seems to be completely back to his normal self. Stitches are looking great and he has not been at them. We are really pleased. Just the big fingers crossed as to whether he and Willow will bond. We will do everything we can to help and know that Willow will be stressed and need time to adjust to a new home first.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/new_rabbit_owner/flopsy.gif

sarsimp
11-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Oh thats great news - I am hoping to pop over there Mon to take some better pics of Syd and Nancy who need to find a forever home indoors pref - so I will say goodbye to Willow and tell her to be a good girl - she's sure to fall for Flopsy, he's so lovely :D

rabbit_lover
15-02-2006, 07:59 PM
* This post is for my friend new_rabbit owner, as she is having problems signing in. PM'd Tamsin yesterday for help, so hopefully will be able to post as normal soon! *

We went to the Rescue in Somerset today to collect Willow. OMG, she is so gorgeous! :o Amazing pure black fur, very thick and velvety. What a stunning bunny!

We were very impressed by the whole setup at Heavens Gate rescue. This is the first time we have been to a rescue. The rabbits all had large open individual runs with their own hutches and looked well cared for. Some of the runs were a bit muddy, but this is to be expected at this time of year. The check out process was also very good, with lots of questions about how we were going to look after her. We even had to produce ID and they were talking of making a home inspection visit (from the Helston centre), which we of course would welcome. She has been spayed and vaccinated last September.

We were a little upset to find out that Willow had to have one of her front toes amputated a few days ago, as she lost a nail quite badly. Maybe trapped on fencing or caused by another rabbit, they were not sure. The vet said she was doing fine and she was running around quite happily.

It was a long journey home (2 hours - 125 miles!). We put her in a cat carrier with food/hay and water. She did not do any droppings or pee, but ate a little carrrot and a tiny amount of hay. She seemed to travel ok.

When we got home we opened up the cat carrier in the kitchen. She is supposed to be the same age as Flopsy (about 9 mths), but she is HUGE compared to him!!!! Her nails are also much thicker. She is quite a powerful rabbit for a Rex. She was ok to handle, if a little nervous. When she struggles, she feels alot stronger than Flopsy! We decided to put her straight into her new hutch to give her time to settle. As soon as she was in there she was not impressed! She was 'thumping' her back legs on the sides of the hutch for a good 10-20 mins. It was so hard and loud that Flopsy must have got scared in the hutch underneath, as he started pooing everywhere! :lol: :lol:

We are now getting a little nervous about the bonding process, as Flopsy is so docile and loving/licky. My partner says he will handle Willow tomorrow and spend time getting to know her in the house. Not sure about introducing her to Flopsy just yet for a while, she would probably rip him to shreds! :shock: I have to say, she did scare me a little tonight with the thumping, but Flopsy has done this before once, but not for so long and not with such force. Any bonding ideas would be much appreciated.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/new_rabbit_owner/Willow1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/new_rabbit_owner/Willow2.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/new_rabbit_owner/flopsyrabbit.jpg

AlisonA
15-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Awwww she looks adorable! I'm sure the thumping will settle down, remember it's a 'danger' warning to bunnies so she's probably just telling you that she is VERY upset that she has been removed from her house she was settled into, taken in a cat carrier for a scary car ride and is now in a place she doesn't recognise, full of new sounds and smells! She doesn't know that you are giving her a nice new permanent home!

I would be inclined to let her settle in for a good week or two before attempting any bonding - take your cue from her, you should be able to tell when she is feeling settled. Good luck with the bonding, take your time and if you feel nervous, don't be afraid to just let them see but not get to each other for a while first.

sarsimp
15-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Aaw Im so glad youve got her at last - she is a gorgeous bunny :D Hope you got the pic I pm'd you - maybe not if youre having trouble :( I dont feel qualified to give you any bonding advice but Willow prob just needs some time to settle into her new environment - it will be quite a change for her :)
They are all lovely at Heavens Gate arent they :D

ljs383
15-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi am having a similar problem I am looking for a male rabbit for my female dutch and I wanted a rabbit about the same size and age. I went to my local rescue the other day and they have got a few lovely rabbits and just because they are at a rescue doesn't mean there is something wrong with them. I have reserved a Belgium Hare X Dwarf Lop when I have had my house check I will take my Molly over there to see if they get on!

I think the best thing to do is to go to your local rescue and look at the rabbits then you can see for yourself.

Lynda

rabbit_lover
15-02-2006, 09:02 PM
One thing I would like to mention... We are so glad that we went to a rescue instead of a breeder. Thanks for the advice everyone. We had to go a long way, but we got the rabbit that we wanted for Flopsy. We feel so much happier knowing that we will love and care for this rabbit that was in need of a permanent home. Many thanks also to 'leanne' for pointing out Willow for us and 'sarsimp' for her help and visiting Willow at Heavens Gate. We will keep you all posted on how things go.

elve
15-02-2006, 09:44 PM
aww she's a beauty :D Bound to be unsettled for a few days though - rabbits love routine so once she's sussed out your routine with food, and got used to your voices, she will start to relax and realise she's not tonight's dinner! :shock:

Best to let her settle for a week or so before introducing her to Flopsy I think - it's all stressful and she's just lost a toe as well, so give her time...Then it's a case of finding somewhere in your house, or maybe a friend's garden/house, where Flopsy hasn't already been - for an initial introduction - very scary but you won't know till you try it - I found a plastic wash basket very useful to pop over an angry rabbit, before any damage was done! Hope it goes well and is love at first sight :)