• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

should I breed my rabbit?

Hiya and welcome to the Forum :) .
Please can we ask your reasons for wishing to breed from your bunny :?:
My colleague Tamsin did a survey of many Rabbit Rescues in the UK, and there are 33, 000 (ish ) bunnies seeking forever homes :(

What breed of rabbit is she :?:
Does she live by herself?

best wishes

whatername said:
but I cant afford it why cant I
Oh dear, well if you cannot afford to have your bunny spayed, how will you afford extra costs of caring for any babies
No one is saying you cannot breed from your bunny, that is your own choice, but just answering the question you posed yourself at the start of the thread. :)

whatername said:
but I cant afford it why cant I

How about you save a little each week until you have enough to get her spayed.

If you were to breed her what would you do with the babies?

Pregnancy is more expensive than spaying. You'll need a large hutch for her to raise the litter (atleast 6') then you'll need a hutch for the baby girls and a seperate hutch for the baby boys. So that's at least two new hutches you'll need to buy. At four she's too old to breed really so they is a high risk of complications which could either kill her or end up needing expensive vet treatment.

Then there is all the extra mouths to feed.

Even if she successfully had a litter that wouldn't stop the problem, only put it on hold a few weeks.

Give her a teddy or get her spayed :D

Where are you in the uk? There are dicount neutering clinics in the west midlands or you could contact your local rspca they may provide vouchers towards neutering.

Tam

well she wants to mate and is spraying everything and I feel sorry for her cause my parents dont let her come out because they dont want to clean the carpet every time she does somthing.
she is just your regular rabbit looks like a wild rabbit.

I guess I wont breed her I just want the best for her And would like to let her out a little but every time i do she pees every where and sometimes poop, but she does have a really big cage

Can you get her a run for outside use?

Spaying her will stop her 'mating' behaviour, and greatly reduce the chance of her developing certain types of cancers.

Please don't breed from your bunny.

whatername said:
well she wants to mate and is spraying everything and I feel sorry for her cause my parents dont let her come out because they dont want to clean the carpet every time she does somthing.

Hiya well getting her spayed would stop her spraying everywhere and settle her hormones down :)
It is important bunnies have exercise, so if your parents dont want your current bunny running around, they wont ne very happy with a family of babies hopping everywhere too.

Tamsin made a good suggestion about looking into getting vouchers to have your bunny spayed, it will benefit her long term, and your parents wil be happier when the peeing on their carpet stops!!.
Best wishes

whatername said:
I guess I wont breed her I just want the best for her And would like to let her out a little but every time i do she pees every where and sometimes poop, but she does have a really big cage

It's good that you want to do whats best for her, it shows that you are a good bunny mummy :D and it's brilliant that you have found this forum as you will get loads of help and advice on making sure you rabbit is as happy as she can be :D

Are you certain she's a girl? Spraying and mounting are more common in boys though not totaly unseen in girls. Boys are cheaper to neuter.

Neutering is really what you need to solve the problem... saving up each week/month, getting vouchers towards it or using a discount clinic are all things you could look into. If you let us know your location we might be able to give you more specific info, it dpends where you are as to what is available in your area.

Tam

whatername said:

Are you sure your bunny is female? excessive mounting and spraying are common characteristics of an un-neutered male.
I would also agree with everyone elses comments on neutering, it will really calm his/her hormones down

whatername said:
dont u think its a little cold to ler her go outside

My buns live outside all year round, they are fine! They grow a thick coat to keep them warm and have plenty of hay and each other to snuggle up with.

Glad your not going to breed the bunny there are so many unwanted bunnys in rescues already,a female can have quite a few babys,and if you dont no enough people to give them homes then it will be more for rescue.

Also the bunny does need to get some exercise,its not fair to be cooped up in a cage or hutch all day.Can you not get a run of some sort??
Spaying isnt too expensive wont your parents help you??Maybe give you an advance on your pocket money or even go halfs??? :)

Back