• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which kind of parsley

maple_syrup

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I went to the supermarket today to get my rabbit some parsley. She's never had any before, so I thought it'd be fun to try.

There were two kinds of parsley. One was called 'continental parsley', where the stems were longer and the leaves were flat. The other was just called 'parsley', and the stems were shorter while the leaves were more curled and bunched together.

Which kind do rabbits eat? I'm so confused! Also, what's the serving portion for parsley and other herbs (e.g. basil, coriander). Thanks!

Talking about parsley i just bought some yesterday i normally buy the shorter stem ones just normal old parsley :lol: it acts as a medicine its good for them:D I normally give my rabbits a handful, :D

i think either is fine.

I gave mine some basil and mint last night and they loved it!

Herbs are very good for them too - aren't they??? hope they anyway!

I feed my rabbits both types but they do prefer the flat leafed variety. I give them a 20g pack between them along with another veg.

Hope this helps

Hayley

twilightpagan said:
Talking about parsley i just bought some yesterday i normally buy the shorter stem ones just normal old parsley :lol: it acts as a medicine its good for them:D I normally give my rabbits a handful, :D

medicine? really? thats very interesting.

what properties does it have?

desdi said:
twilightpagan said:

medicine? really? thats very interesting.

what properties does it have?

Parsley relieves gas, stimulates normal GI activity, and helps bladder, kidney, liver, and lung functions. :D

my rabbits will eat any kind of parsley and any other herb. Phoebe once ate a whole tarragon plant in about 5 minutes :roll: :lol:

Alfie kennedy said:
Parsley relieves gas, stimulates normal GI activity, and helps bladder, kidney, liver, and lung functions.

Well i never knew that! will get some for my buns

thats great. they get it as a treat and love it - as well as basil and corriander.

i'll invest in a bigger bunch i think!

Hi there, we could all grow our own parsley! I've grown it before and its easy, basicaly plant the seeds, water and there you go... much cheaper option too! :)

I have a pot of parsley growing on my kitchen window ledge!! :) Only prob is the buns wanna eat it quicker than it can grow!! :?

Also once the waether warms up I'm gonna get one of those herb garden pots and grow some different herbs for the buns too

:D :D :D Herbs are good for buns as treats, my buns regularly have parsely, but I must mention that I was under the impression from post's in the past that it has quite a lot of calcium in it, if this is the case as with other foods high in calcium it shouldn't be fed too freequently in high doses for some buns. :D

KerinTravis said:
:D :D :D shouldn't be fed too freequently in high doses for some buns. :D

Thats fine cos it doesn't grow quick enough for my two to have it more than now and then !! :lol:

:lol: I know that feeling!! I had a great little herb garden growing, but to keep up with my buns it would need to be a huge herb lawn!!! - I have to say the most un-potted herbs I've found value for money in supermarkets is Tesco, you certainly get more herbs per pack as it is :D

I always grow my own herbs,I have a small herb garden out the front,i dry a lot of it.
And i make herb bags too :D
I have yarrow,white sage,pineapple sage,parsley,cat nip,basil,mint and a few i cant rememeber,not sure what the bunnys can have out of the rest as i have grown them for me,but once i know then they can have some when they bloom again :D

I've been giving Barney parsley for about two weeks now, he loves it, he has it every other day, just a sprig, but its gone in seconds :lol: :lol:

Ali and Barney

Mine eat all types of parsley, they love it & i always send some with a bun or piggie thats going in for sedation or GA to eat as soon as he/she wakes up, Lovage is really into rosemary too but they love all herbs :)

Thanks for all the reply! I bought some of the flat leaf variety and will give her some tonight. Growing herbs is not a bad idea either... :)

I bought some reduced price coriander from Tesco yesterday...20p, and they LOVE it (personally I think coriander is one of the foulest tasting things on earth :lol: ). Herbs are a fantastic way to entice a rabbit back into it's cage when it doesn't want to go! One sprig and you've got them following you all over!

Back