• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over weight bunny!!

Just came back from the vets with poppy and floppy,Floppy has always been a big bunny since he came to me,he weighs 3kg,the vet says hes over weight to only give him 2 egg cups a day of pellets,and only hay!! :shock: He will get hungry and isnt it dangerous with the static gut??He shares his hutch with poppy whos a small bunny,they have a bowl of burgess pelllets a day plus fresh hay and fresh greens,Im worryed to cut him dow so much any advise??

don't worry - he won't starve if he has plenty of fresh hay! it will be worth it when he slims down, will be easier for him to clean himself too and avoid flystrike!

You can feed Poppy seperately, thats what i do with Holly and Alfie as she was a little tubby!

This diet your vet suggests should not cause a problem, they will eat extra hay if they are hungry. Another way is to put all their pellets in a treat ball, make them earn their dinner :lol:

Janice

My vet said the same about Hobbes so suggested i cut out pellets altogether which i did. He eats plenty of hay now which he didn't do before so not only is his diet better but his teeth will be too :D

jrn1310 said:
This diet your vet suggests should not cause a problem, they will eat extra hay if they are hungry. Another way is to put all their pellets in a treat ball, make them earn their dinner :lol:

Janice

Thats a good idea think il invest in one of those,must admit even when he goes in his run he doesnt do much hes a bit lazy :roll: :D

Twilightpagen said
when he goes in his run he doesnt do much hes a bit lazy

I think you may have mentioned what the problem is :D perhaps we need to organise a rabbit fat camp for this summer :lol:

Janice

Back