• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth removal *added question about caecotroph eating*

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
As tobey has to have his incisors (but not his molars) burred every 4-5 weeks, i'm considering whether it's a better idea for him to have them removed.

I've heard it can be quite a brutal operation, but can anyone who's got experience in this area give me an idea of what's involved, and the sort of aftercare i will need to provide, and how long before their buns got used to it and if it depressed them at all?

Thanks

** Also just wondered if buns with no front teeth are able to still eat their soft poos?

Hi Ali, are Tobey's teeth misalighned? and why does he have to have them cut every few weeks? If they are misalighned then i would def recommend having them removed. I had Will's removed last year, and he was in a little pain for a couple of days after and all his veg had to be grated and his pellets softend. After about two weeks he could eat pellets dry again but was still sturggeling a little with veg so we continued to grate it for a few more weeks. Now his veg is just shredded or chopped into smallish peices, he eats hay and pellets fine and is alot better without his front teeth :D

ARC have had a number of buns who have had their front teeth removed due to maloclusion, they have all done well post operatively and within a few weeks appear to have got over it. At least they then don't have the stress of regular vet visits then, long term it is also less expensive :lol:

Like all procedures requiring GA keep them warm post operatively in a quiet envioroment to cause them less stress. Monitor their eating and pooing. With this type of surgery ensure that they have adequate analgesia for the first 3 or 4 days. As Phil says soften pellets, a bowl of water as well as a bottle (if that is what they are used to), grated veggies for a few days, fresh grass, hay cut into small sections, hand cut bit of grass etc.

If I had a rabbit of my own with this problem I would most certainly have this done to them ... as long as our vet Cristabel did it ....

Janice

Yeah, his incisors are misaligned, the lower ones are aligned in front of the upper ones, whereas it's meant to be the other way around as you know. His molars are fine though.

They seem to grow quite quickly, i check them every few days, usually he was having them burred every couple of months but 3 weeks ago he went from being fine one day, to not eating at all the next day and he had to be hospitalised so i don't want to risk this happening again, and it seems they're getting quite long around 4 or 5 weeks at a time.

I don't want him to have constant stress every month, so i'm thinking overall it would be best for him to have them removed, but at the same time i know that's going to be difficult for him but again, know it will be for the best in the long run.

Did Will have to have any painkillers or anything like that after the op? And also how soon did he begin eating once he came back from the vets? Tobey seems to avoid eating all together when he's at the vet, but usually eats when he gets home but it takes a little while, which is obviously a worry.

thanks for the advice :D

Will had to have a little metacam for a couple of days but not much and he started eating as soon as he was home, but only if his food was mushed!

Hiya. This is what Squidgy was like when he came to us. He manages really well without his front teeth. We chop up his veg for him though.
He was a little sore when he came back from the vets, and we tempted him with baby food and grated carrot and apple.
He manages his soft poos fine. We call it the 'drop and hop' :shock: :lol: as he'll do a poo, hop round and eat it up!
We do have to help him with his grooming, but I would definitely recommned having them removed.

Back