• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help!

St3phanie

New Kit
I recently purchased a mini lop bunny. It's my first bunny and i really want to take care of her the best i can. Lately i have noticed she has diarrhea and her stool is not single little pellets, it is in piles. I have her on VitaVittles rabbit diet and Timothy hay. I bought some medicine called "Dri Tail" for diarrhea. Is there anything else i should know or that you can suggest that i do? any information would be very helpful. Thank you :cry:

Before we can help you we need to know a few more things...

How old is your bun? Age might make a difference, for example rabbits that are too young to be away from mum have trouble digesting food.

What was she eating in the petstore? When rabbits change diets rapidly it causes problems in their digestive systems, causing diarrhea.

I hope your bun feels better!

She is about 9-10 weeks old i got her from a jacks aquarium and pets store. I guess she had VitaVittles there because that is what they reccomended i feed her. Thank you for responding. I am trying to get all the advice i can.

Are the piles of poo you talk about likes the ones shown on this page -> http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/cecals.html (you have to scroll down to the bottom). If so, that's not diarrhoea, they are cecotropes and the rabbit is supposed to eat them. They usually do this by eating them straight from their bottoms and we don't really see it. I know when I first got Daisy, with the stress of the journey etc. she didn't eat them all properly for the first few days. How long have you had her?

yes piles of poops does not sound like diarrea - she may settle down and start eating it soon - over the counter diarrea medicine might give her problems though so don't give it to her unless her diarrea is watery and runny.

^Yes, forgot to say, I reaaaallly wouldn't recommend the medicine. Over the counter stuff will, at best, probably do nothing, and at worst, upset your bunny's stomach which can cause seeerious problems.

Hope everything's ok soon :).

What's your bunny's name by the way? And have you got any pics of her? ;).

I agree, it doesn't sound like she has diarrhoea, if she did it would be really watery. If she does have watery poo then take her to the vet asap as she could go down hill quickly without treatment.
It sounds like she is not eating her cecal poos. Maybe her rabbit food is a little too rich, do you know the fibre and protein content of the food?

Yes her poop looks just like the poo on the link u gave me. Ok so stop giving her the DriTail? Her name is belle btw =) and i will post pictures soon as i upload them to my computer. Thank you guys for the info...Is there anything else i should do?

hmm on her bag of food it says Crude protein 17% and Crude Fiber 16% is that too rich. IF you have any suggestions food wise please let me know and i will definitley get them for her.

I would suggest changing her to Science selective or Allan and Page pellets. does she get lots of hay?

Yes she has hay available to her 24/7 and i change it daily. Thanks for the suggestion on food phill, Can i find that at my local pet store?

You should be able to get Science Selctive easily, Allan and Page is a bit more tricky! have a look at what your local shop has, you need a food that is high in fibre and without too many different bits in as they can selectivly feed then and they wont get all the stuff there supposed to :D

ahh ok. Thank you. Right now her VitaVittles has lots of different mixes in it. I only got that because its what the pet store reccommended. But i keep getting different suggestions from every pet store i talk to. One pet store told me to take her hay completely away and one told me do not take her hay away lol. Thats why i decided to find a good Rabbit forum.

Yea..lol don't worry though. I didnt listen to them. I really just want my bunny to be happy. Its my first rabbit and i want to do everything right. Any suggestions for me feel free to leave them =)

St3phanie said:
ahh ok. Thank you. Right now her VitaVittles has lots of different mixes in it. I only got that because its what the pet store reccommended. But i keep getting different suggestions from every pet store i talk to. One pet store told me to take her hay completely away and one told me do not take her hay away lol. Thats why i decided to find a good Rabbit forum.

Well done, buns need hay all the time! it keeps there guts going and keeps there teeth in good shape XX

You can start introducing small amounts now, and i mean small! but watch her poos if they become sticky stop giving her them XX

k. Thanks. I am going today to get her some Science diet and pedialyte since she doesnt seem to be drinking any of her water.

Back