• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fussy eater - who eats all the wrong things

ailz

Alpha Buck
My Norwegian dwarf Tosh who is about 8 months old is a really picky eater - unless it's stuff he shouldn't eat of course. He'll only eat lettuce and cabbage leaves - no other veg, including carrots, he won't eat the hay which is in his cage he likes to either take it from through the bars of the guinea pig cage or straight from the bag - which is making an awful mess of the living room, but the main thing that he does love is papier mache. We found him eating some and it was the one thing he hasn't liked us taking off him. He's also heaten the face, hands and feet of a plaster statue of Pauline Boneparte (who is now in the bin). He has free run of the house. To begin with I was worried that my houseplants would harm him - but it has been the other way round he's killed off all the large ones - a cheeseplant, 2 rubber plants, an umbrella plant and a fern.

Although I worry about his eating habits he's a happy soul - he binks and runs around, sits in the front window sunning himself, eats plenty and has now started hiding when we come to put him to bed at night (he's quite happy to sit in his hutch as long as the doors are open).

I wouldn't change him for the world - I didn't know rabbits could be such wonderful pets :D

It's the same with my little dutch rabbit. He loves paper and it's hard to stop him eating it. He also eats lots of our houseplants which nobody in the house particularly minds just as long as they're safe to eat. My mother was slightly annoyed when he began munching on the outdoor plants but she's started sowing plants in the front garden, where my rabbit has no access to.

His eating habbits are strange but I'm sure it's normal for rabbits. I once caught him eating briquettes. :roll: :lol: My rabbit has lots of freedom too. He's allowed out at all times as long as it's completely safe. But I leave the hutch door open as well so he has access to water and food, etc. :)

Rabbits shouldnt really eat lettuce so probably best to leave that out.. cabbage is fine tho. Have you tried herb leaves like coriander or parsley (i get it from asda) mine love it!
Mine got into a habit of only eating the hay directly out of the bag as well which ive had to stop them doing as they were making such a mess and i was worried Simba was going to suffocate. I got them a storage box and have put loads of hay in that. They sit in there now for ages eating it which is alot better. Cant help you with the plants or paper tho.. mine would eat it if i let them probably. Be careful that houseplants you have arent poisonous as there are alot that are.. i think there is a list 'sticky' in this section of the forum.
He certainly sounds like a fab character!! :D

I thought you could feed the darker lettuces, but not the ones like iceberg?

My Netherland Dwarves don't eat much hay at all... they will eat a bit then dig it all into the toilet area and stamp it down :roll:

Back