• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Going bald on tummy

houndour

Warren Scout
Yesterday I noticed Eeyores legs were bald at the very top. He looks like he's wearing leg warmers.

Today I picked him up to check his legs to see if they looked sore or itchy and his tummy is also very bare (literally just like new fluff covering). Also his hind legs on the insides.

It doesn't look sore or itchy, just normal with perhaps a few flakes of what you might call dandruff.

I can't tell if it's causing him bother as he doesnt like to be picked up anyway so touching him there causes him to freak anyway.

I wondered if this was purely down to moulting (theyve both been moulting loads). Or something I should get checked out at the vet.

Aside from the bare tummy and top part of legs he looks fine, the rest of his fur looks normal, and hes eating and drinking as normal.

Hiya. Is Eyeore the Bun who was poorly a while back?? Sometimes when a Bun has been unwell they get a flare up of Cheyletiella Mites. These cause a sort of flakey dandruff, lots of hair loss and are often, although not always, itchy. You cant see the mites without a microscope. Perhaps a trip to the Vets might confirm if he does have mites and if so he will need a course of Ivomectin to get rid of the little critters!! Jane and Buns xx

Hi yes, he's had a severe case of pasteurella, head tilt and had lots of jabs for this.

I will get him checked out. Thanks so much. Poor little thing :) He's going to think the vets is his second home!

aww my fluffy has hair loss in her back and she had nites what i have treaten for by mite shampoo and stuff but she still loosing fur does it take a while to grow bk?

Would be a good idea to get him checked out. Ive had 2 bucks [not done] that are very highly sexed and they end up with loss of hair on the inside of the legs. Not got to the bottom of it but it looks like some kind of leakage that makes the hair damp. Then the hair comes out i think through over grooming the damp bits on the legs. Have you had your boy done? val

Hair loss can also occur due to hormonal fluctuations or through the rabbit pulling if it is bored.. though I have had rabbits which have all the space etc they could possibly have and they still pulled :roll:

Back