• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth falling out - just broken!!

nicolar

Mama Doe
I've just been up to see Princess (late I know but I'm not well and only woke up a little while ago!!) and she hadn't eaten most of her veg :( Funny I thought as she is such a piglet so my first thought was teeth. She had to have them burred about 4 weeks ago. I picked her up to have a look (she didn't like this one bit!) and I noticed that one of her front bottom teeth seems to have fallen out!! :shock: Is this common at all? I was really shocked and am presuming this is the reason why her veggies are still there - also wondering whether she has back teeth problems too.

We are booked into the vets for 2.40 this afternoon, should I give her a drop of Metacam in case it is painful or wait for the vet? I can only imagine it happened yesterday as the night before last she ate all! We were due to go back to the vets tomorrow for Myxi jab + teeth check so just had to happen a day earlier!! I'm thinking they will want to knock her out to have a proper look as she is a real wriggler and gets quite stressed being held, I'll be worried sick!

Nicola

Poor girl.

I don't know if this is common or not but its lucky your off work sick so you can take her to the vets!

I am sure its nothing to worry about.

Bonnie

Yeah it is lucky I'm sick really!! If I had been at work she would have gone this evening once I got home but I'm glad I can sort it sooner. I said to my Mum that Princess has obv taken the place of Pippa - can't have Mummy not at the vets every month!! :lol:

sorry to hear about her tooth nic, but i would wait to see the vet before giving metacam just in case anything needs to be done! does she seem in pain? good luck and let us know how she gets on

Thanks Eve. I'm not sure, it's hard to tell but she is a little quieter than usual, though still eating her pellets. I was just worried about pain as I'm sure a tooth falling out would be painful! These bunnies like to keep us on our toes!

nicolar said:
Thanks Eve. I'm not sure, it's hard to tell but she is a little quieter than usual, though still eating her pellets. I was just worried about pain as I'm sure a tooth falling out would be painful! These bunnies like to keep us on our toes!

if she is eating se isnt in enough pain to worry about so i wold wait! pain rabbits dont eat and just sit huddled

Me too, my poor bunny!! She will hate her trip to the vets, she gets stressed and gets helicopter ears! :(

nicolar said:
Me too, my poor bunny!! She will hate her trip to the vets, she gets stressed and gets helicopter ears! :(

well i have 14 to get to the vets by 2 :shock: :shock: :shock:

nicolar said:
Have fun with that! Is it easier for you to take them in 1 trip?

i cant i have to do two, cant carry that many boxes, last year i had two of p@h trolleys carry four large carriers each and then made three back and forth trips to the cars for others, this year i am doing half today and half tommorrow

then i have to go back in two weeks for mysi and then back in amrch for the bunnys i took on late last year! :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:

nicolar said:
Sounds like something that needs a lot of planning!! :)

not really i am used to it now so i just book a blook of appointments and get going, which is what i should be doing now! just waiting on a telephone call so thought i would jump on here :oops:

aww sounds very worrying. hope everthing goes well later on.

odd question i know but did you find the tooth?

and um 14 buns?! eeek

desdi said:
aww sounds very worrying. hope everthing goes well later on.

odd question i know but did you find the tooth?

and um 14 buns?! eeek

not 26 actually but i am only take 14 today!

Thanks Desdi. No haven't found the tooth yet!! Will have better look later but she spent a few hours running round the garden yesterday so could have fallen out anywhere!

bunnylove said:
not 26 actually but i am only take 14 today!

*boggle*

i have my handsful with just 2!

oh and nicolar dont forget to let us know how things go! actually you should be back soon. so i hope it went well.

they can be tiny nutters.

Well luckily her tooth hadn't fallen out! It had just broken off but I couldn't see that properly when I looked at her cos she is so wriggly!! So that's good + she said that the tooth remaining looks healthy - although they have grown quite a bit and need burring again.

She also looked at her back teeth as best she could, she couldn't see any ulcers or spurs but as we know that doesn't mean there aren't any! So she is going in for a dental on Friday to check her back teeth are OK and burr her front teeth - the vet noticed that one of her back teeth looks like it is missing too!!

One thing I thought when I got home is that she may not have eaten her veg last night cos her front tooth was bit painful, will see if she eats her veg tonight. I'm still inclined to have her dental on Fri even if she does eat.

Nicola

Back