• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'litter'-ly Challenged

olelopears

New Kit
Hi, My rabbit Flops is litter box trained for the most part but she loves to chew as well and every litterbox we put in there becomes her new chew toy...that is till the point that when she digs in it it flys all over the pen defeating the purpose of a litter box in the first place -_-" Ive placed, toilet tubes, maple twigs, chewing wood; the works in there but she still prefurs to gnaw on her box. Tips please?

If she's pregnant she may be trying to make a nest - which would explain the need to dig as well.

Does she get much time out of her cage? - mine get destructive when they are annoyed at being kept in.

Finally does she eat much hay? Mine chew everything when they want fresh hay in their already full litter tray - somehow the fresh stuff entertains them better as they like to pick out the juicy bits first and dig in it.

If she is bored, why not put her pellets in a treat ball, make her work for her food and will keep her occupied so not so much time to destroy her litter tray :lol:

Janice

Quinns a destructive boy and he doesnt understand the idea of a treat ball - also if he doesnt get out of his hutch for whatever reason he thumps and throws things around his hutch at night to keep you awake!

Rosie on the other hand entertains herself with the treat ball and as shes in a cage she has a veggie basket so she plays with that but she sulks if she doesnt come out enough too

As a matter of fact, she is pregnant, Flops is due for kits In a lil over two weeks. I havent put a nesting box in for her yet because I read that they may confuse it with the litter box up till about oneweek before due.

I try to get her out often, but she appears to hate it. Ill let her roam my room (after Its rabbit proofed ofcoarse) but She will get on my bed and attempt to jump to her cage top to get back in. (This cage opens from the top) She also can tell when Im about to pick her u, she tends to attrack my hand even when I let her sniff it and or give her a small treat before hand.

If alfalfa qualifies as hay then yes, she gets a nice sized portion often.

Yes actullaly I havent done a treat ball but I tend to put alfalfa in a closed toliet tube. Its a wire cage and the pellets would fall thru the bottom -_-"

Quin sounds ALOT like Flops then! lol, She was so loud last night that I had t move to the livingroom sofa :roll: :p

alfalfa's probably OK for her at the mo, with being pregnant, and it will be fine for growing bunnies, but it's too high protein for adult rabbits normal hay - they need grass or preferably timothy hay.

I think I remeber reading somthing about that. As soon as the snow melts Flops and I will be able to go out for a graze more but till then Ill mark up Timothy Hay on the shapping list ^^ Thanks!

Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for the soon to be new arrivals? Its her first breed and one of my friends who raise meatstock *twitch* rabbits said that on a first litter theres a high chance none of them could make it...

Thank you all! With her dish unmovable and her litter pan unchewable Flops is now a much quieter bunny. I get a good nights sleep and she not only gets yummy chewables but als is alowed to chew up her old litterbox as much as she wants! lol :lol: [/url]

Back