• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying- what will I need?

Justine

Mama Doe
I have booked my rabbit Flip flop for spaying on thursday. Could you please tell me everything I might need for when she comes home. I have read things people have put on here before but I can't remember everything. I want to make sure I'm prepared.

Thanks
Justine.

paper bedding or vetbed, I'm using torn up jay cloths and paper towels in Amys litter tray instead of the normal litter :wink:

Errr she will need to stay in for a few nights, so some indoor accommodation.

Something warm and cosy to sleep on - ideally something like vetbed, which soaks urine away keeping the top dry, or if not, something like some towels or a bathroom mat. She will still need hay to eat though so a hay rack (or makeshift equivalent!)

A bowl for water instead of/as well as a bottle, as they often find it easier to drink from a bowl.

Tasty food to tempt her to eat, maybe some herbs and a little apple.

Keep her somewhere warm and quiet, if she still isn't eating the next morning, ring the vet as she may need more painkiller/something to get her gut moving.

Also when you pick her up from the vets, I'd make sure you check that they have given her a painkiller, and if they haven't - insist that they give one to her!

Hi, I hope Flip Flop is fine after her op. As you have probably read before you will have to keep her in the house so she is nice and warm for a while after her op. You will probably find the first night you have her home she will be sleepy still and not want to move about much. Try and offer her water in a bowl so she does not have to get up to her water bottle as my bun seemed really thirsty that first night. I got some food that would tempt her like parsley and watercress to get her eating. Even so she did not touch it until the middle of the night. By the following evening she was much brighter and eating nearly as normal. My vet said if she was not eating the morning after the operation I was to phone him and to also watch to see if she was passing water and poos ok. She had her wound glued rather than stitched and never bothered with it at all. Good luck I am sure she will be fine. Pam

Hiya: Here's my list:
1 Ensure Bunny has adequate PAIN RELIEF from Vet AFTER her op'. I would ask for at least 2 doses of Metacam to take away with you to administer, if needed, on day 1 and 2 after surgery.
2 Bunny MUST be kept indoors in a warm but well ventilated area.
3 Vetbed or Towels to be used for bedding. These need to be changed regularly throughout the day. Bun will need 3 days cage rest to allow internal healing.
4 Hay, normal pellet/cereal feed and water(with an added probiotic) provided as normal plus some tempting treats- Parsley, Basil, gratted Carrot and Apple.
5 A syringe and some suitable liquid feed(sachet of Science Recovery, Veggie Baby Food, Critical Care Feed) incase Bunny has not started to eat by the morning after the op'.
6 Wound must be checked twice a day for any sign of infection or wound-opening.
7 If you are at all worried ALWAYS contact your Vet.
Flip-Flop will soon be back to 'Flip-Flopping'!! Jane and Buns xx

Back