• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Daisys bleeding!!!!!

I put Daisy in the run with Bertie,shes a fully intact doe,iv just took her out and her bums got blood on it is this normal???its shcoked me as Bertie nearly killed his brother back in novemeber and now this is putting me off???any advise??? :shock: :(

Nope, not normal. You need to give her a good check over and work out where it's from... a bite wound/scratch/broken toe nail.

Tam

Poor thing. Give her a proper check over and fine out where its coming from, its prob nothing so don't panic. I am sure if it was a fight there would be some fur flying!

If the blood is actually coming from her 'girlie bits' you need to take her to your vet TODAY. As she is an entire Doe there are womb problems that can develop. These need immediate veterinary attention. The blood may just be coming from a torn nail. These bleed LOTS and always look worse than they are. Try not to panic. Check your Bun over and if you cannot find where the blood is coming from I would take her to your Vet today just to be on the safe side. Jane and Buns xx

i had a shock like this with the sheep i had. one ewe had loads of blood all over her bum. we caught her washed her off i sheared the fleece away and found nothing at all.
then i tipped the ram up, he had cut his penis badly and it was his blood all over the place. so if you cant find anything with your girlie, check everyone else! the blood might not be hers.
hopr this helps a bit, good luck!

he was fine! sheep heal quickly fortunately! he had a shot of antibiotics to be on the safe side. it didnt bother him in the slightest as he was still tring to cover the ewes, hence the blood being where it was!
sheep taught me alot about finding injuries, the blood always seems to belong to someone else! another time my favourite ewe came up for a nose scratch and he hole face was red with blood! i thought she had been savaged, turns out she had been playing with a little wether lamb who had weak horns and one broke off! it looked like the texas chainsaw masacre!
it never seems to bother them though.

Right i panicked and went straight to the vets,being as she was bleeding,shes very badly bruised and has two small nicks,she was given a nice clean up and antibiotics and a painkiller injection, :shock: Thats twice now that bertie has hurt another bunny i only put them in the run for 10 mins!!!!! :shock: :( She was crying in the vets kept making squeeky noises :cry: Im so relieved shes ok!!
Its surprising how fond you get of a bunny i only rescued her from a woman about 3 weeks ago,shes so lovely and im keeping her now.

colliewoman said:
he was fine! sheep heal quickly fortunately! he had a shot of antibiotics to be on the safe side. it didnt bother him in the slightest as he was still tring to cover the ewes, hence the blood being where it was!
sheep taught me alot about finding injuries, the blood always seems to belong to someone else! another time my favourite ewe came up for a nose scratch and he hole face was red with blood! i thought she had been savaged, turns out she had been playing with a little wether lamb who had weak horns and one broke off! it looked like the texas chainsaw masacre!
it never seems to bother them though.
Phew, thats a relief!! :D When I lived in Shetland I was PERMANENTLY surrounded by sheep. A damn sight better than here in London where I am surrounded by BLOODY PEOPLE!! :roll: :x :roll: Jane and Buns xx

aww poor thing!
at least you know she's ok now.

jane, the sheep i had were shetland sheep! well shetland crossed with gotland, the naughtiest sheep in the whole world!
people are'nt nearly as much fun and they dont ping around in the grass either!

i'm glad everything turned out ok in the end.

poor little thing must have been scared if she was crying.

i'm sure that now she is home she is very happy (and i'm sure you are spoiling her with her favourite treats!).

i think you might need to sit down with your little man and explain the birds and the bunnies to him and how he has to play nicely with the girlybuns.

colliewoman said:
aww poor thing!
at least you know she's ok now.

jane, the sheep i had were shetland sheep! well shetland crossed with gotland, the naughtiest sheep in the whole world!
people are'nt nearly as much fun and they dont ping around in the grass either!
GOTLAND !! I've been there too!! Little Island north of Sweden.Up there we had a tandem loo of two adjacent holes in the ground!! :shock: :shock: A 'novel' way of making friends with the locals!! :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

bizarre! well at least we shall always have something to chat about!
tandem loos eh? i hope they dont catch on here!!
a hole in the ground i could cope with, having to 'go' with someone next to me....... i dont think so :oops: :oops:

colliewoman said:
bizarre! well at least we shall always have something to chat about!
tandem loos eh? i hope they dont catch on here!!
a hole in the ground i could cope with, having to 'go' with someone next to me....... i dont think so :oops: :oops:
I found it a CONSTIPATING EXPERIENCE !! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

twilightpagan said:
Right i panicked and went straight to the vets,being as she was bleeding,shes very badly bruised and has two small nicks,she was given a nice clean up and antibiotics and a painkiller injection, :shock: Thats twice now that bertie has hurt another bunny i only put them in the run for 10 mins!!!!! :shock: :( She was crying in the vets kept making squeeky noises :cry: Im so relieved shes ok!!
Its surprising how fond you get of a bunny i only rescued her from a woman about 3 weeks ago,shes so lovely and im keeping her now.

I think a more gradual introduction when she is healed might be good - supervised dating!!

it sounds like what happened to touie's rabbit Amy - it's a difficult place to heal up and she's not recovering well - hope she's OK!

I wouldn't bother trying to bond them - I've got 3 single rabbits and judging by the way they binky and bounce around, they are happy alone as much as they are bonded. My boy refuses to accept any of my girls, so I've given up with him!

She seems ok in herself,shes eating iv kept her indoors,shes still very sore and will squeek if you stroke her,Il take a piccy of her soon,I really dont no why Berties like this he used to be so nice with his brother,until one day he snapped,and i nearly lost Liquorice over this,he was tron from his top to his bits(without being crude)He was in the vets for 2 week!So i thought aw well its brothers and they do this but i really didnt expect him to behave in this manner with a female,they were in together for less than 10 mins while i was semi watching while cooking the kids there dinners.
Theyw ere chasing each other and the usual stuff :roll: then i came over to see and saw blood :shock: I took bertie out and couldnt find any think on him,then when i took the girl out she was squeeking :( and her bum red!! :shock:
Its surprising how much damage a bun can do!!!

Back