• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Agressive Blue Rex - How will I know if he is blind???

I forgot to ask, how can I find out if a bunny is blind? Louis is so agressive, he digs in his hutch all the time. Whatever, I put into his hutch, he starts digging. He throws his dishes around and lunges at me, just before he bites!

Any ideas how to find out?

Carol

Well you could shine a small torch at each eye and see how quickly his pupils dilate. But a better diagnosis can be made by a Vet checking Buns Retinas (back of eyes) with an Opthalmascope. Jane and Buns xx

:lol: I have a couple of rabbits like that and they're not blind. How long does he spend out of his hutch he sounds like he's a bit frustrated. If you're unsure about his sight a vet trip wont hurt :D

Didnt jane say she noticed by taking a photo of all things - the buns eyes went blue / white rather than red in the flash

Quinn said:
Didnt jane say she noticed by taking a photo of all things - the buns eyes went blue / white rather than red in the flash

That was me with Delilha it okk a piccie and her eyes went blue not red as they should have done with the flash. A vet can make a better diagnosis though.

i thought Holly could have been slightly blind because she hates being picked up and spends ALOT of her time standing on her hind legs looking around!!

Reckon she's just curious and she lets me pick her up for a cuddle much more now :lol:

Hi there,

I'm going to book Louis into the vets to be castrated. He lives in a very big hutch on his own, as he's agressive towards other buns too. I'm not sure whether he's bored or not, he gets lots of attention and time in the run to play in there. When I take him to the vets, I'll ask them to check his eyesight too. When he's castrated, maybe I'll introduce him to a girlfriend, but I'll have to see how he reacts, as his temper is terrible at the moment.

Carol xx

Back