• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone in Gloucestershire/Cheltenham?

I wonder whether anyone can help me out?

One of my bunnies (Hope) is a bit under the weather. She had an eye infection a week or so ago, was given antibiotics and ever since we've had trouble getting her to eat. She's still not showing much interest in her food, but we're managing to syringe feed her a few times a day and also tempting her to nibble some grass and herbs. She's booked in at the vet's on Feb 16th to have her teeth examined under anaesthetic.

My problem is that we've got to go away for a few days on Saturday 11th Feb. We'd planned for a friend to look after both bunnies but I don't think I can leave a sick bunny with her as she hasn't got any experience of syringe feeding etc.

Is there anyone out there who would be happy to look after Hope for a few days? I would be eternally grateful :).

Feel free to email me, reply here or call me on 07968 594645.

Thanks in advance.

Anna x

Have you spoken to the vets since you last went about Hope's sticky eyes. If she is not eating properly I would get her checked out ASAP rather than leaving her until the 16th when she is due to go back for her teeth. Is she still pooing?

You are doing right in syringing food and tempting her with grass and herbs.

Janice

Hiya :D . Your Bunny needs to go back to the Vets.TODAY if possible. If she has dental problems causing her to be unable to eat she CANNOT be left til 16th February. She will develop GI stasis and the outlook may well be bleak. And if she loses lots of weight between now and the 16th she will be a VERY high GA risk. Sorry, dont mean to sound harsh or frighten you but your Bun needs Veterinary attention SOONER rather than later. Best wishes and hope your Vet can sort out the Buns problem. Jane and Buns xx

Hi Jane/Janice

Yep, she's been back to the vet's ... on Saturday, Sunday and yesterday! They gave her a painkiller each visit and also something to stimulate her gut. She did stop pooing for a couple of days but has started again now - fairly normal looking, but smaller than her usual.

Her eating hasn't really picked up much at all. It's almost as though she's forgotten how to do it. She will nibble at something a bit if I hold it right up to her mouth, but that's about it.

The vet would board her while we're away but that would be £40 a night - her treatment so far comes to £180 so we really can't afford another £160 on top of that.

I would take her away with me, but I don't think a five hour car ride would do her much good. If I can avoid it I really don't want to cancel my trip - I'm taking my Gran back to visit where she lived with my Grandad as an 80th birthday present. She'd be so disappointed if we cancelled.

Just don't know what to do for the best :(.

Anna x

What food are you syringe feeding?

I guess you have tried dandelion leaves, grated apple and grated carrot. Have you tried wetting her dried food and hand feeding it in small balls, sometimes a tiny addition of some unsweetened apple juice makes it a little more tempting?

Have you given a little probiotic in her water?

Mint may be helpful as it boost energy levels in rabbits and helps reduce the gas in their stomachs. http://www.foresta.free-online.co.uk/DietRabbit1.html

Janice

Thanks Janice

We were giving her syringes of pellets mushed up with water and apple baby food/banana/pineapple juice but the vet has given us sachets of recovery powder that contains fibre, vitamins, probiotic etc.

She takes this quite readily and has been having about 20ml a day in total.

We've tried the grated apple and carrot but she'll only eat the occasional strand and only if I wave it under her nose.

She will also take the occasional pellet if I offer it to her.

I'll get some mint and try that tonight.

She doesn't even seem to be drinking, but the syringe mush is pretty wet so maybe she's getting enough liquid from that. She's pretty bright in herself and doesn't seem dehydrated or in pain. She was bloated and uncomfortable but that seems much better.

Thanks again!

Anna xx

Back