• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi jab - every 6 momths or 12 months??

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

As i'm not sure how common Myxi is in my area (which is pretty built up) my vet said to get myxi jab's every year, however my friend's vet down the road said every 6 months.

What does everyone else do??

I think i will do 6 montly jabs to be on the safe side?!?

Thanks

Bonnie

I do yearly,as my vet said its not currently in our area,if it isnt in your area its no need to do it so frequent,i also get them jabbed for vhd,which is a illness they can catch off a insect bite i think.

VHD is spread through direct contact or from the virus being left on inanimate objects by nasal discharge, saliva, etc.

Myxi is spread by insect bites... I don't have wild rabbits in my garden at all or anywhere nearby but one of my shed rabbits got myxi a few years ago... I can only assume that it was a mosquito bite that did it. You're never safe!

I think the myxi vaccine *can* be given yearly as a minimum and every 6 months at the most frequent. I seem to recal that immunity to myxi will really drop after 8 months, so in reality you want to be giving it every 8 months. You might want to check that though.

Oh, that reminds me. Yesterday we were told that rabbits should recieve their first myxi jab at SIX weeks. Surely this is too early? The stress involved... I would think you are likely to trigger gastro-enteric problems, tramping your litter of babies off to the vets to be poked with syringes at that age?!

Yes my vet said the same, that they think immunity lasts around 8 months. If you're going to get it done twice a year, I reckon they are best done around February and August so that the highest immunity is given for the spring/autumn peaks of insects. If once a year, my vet recommends having it done in May as they always get a great load of cases in Sept-Dec so having it done in May means that the highest risk season is covered. I get mine done 6 monthly though, just to be on the safe side.

The myxi virus dies back in the winter months so the confusion of yearly or six monthly really depends on when you had your vaccs done :?

If you get the vacc done in April then yearly is okay because once it wears off (after 8 months) we are into the winter - however if you jet vaccinated in July/August then you would need to repeat it about Marh/April time :D

However if you live in a high risk area where myxi is rife then to be on the safe side you should get it done every 6-7 months.

lol Pam

Back