• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Wisteria leaves ok to eat?

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help, I'm moving house at the end of the week and the new garden has a wisteria plant/tree in it. I've read that the twigs are poisonous to rabbits on previous threads but i was wondering about the leaves?

obviously with the time of year all the leaves have dropped and not sure if my bunnies are ok to eatthem or not? The leaves are dry and crispy not green, I know they would love to eat them but wanted to check first. Otherwise i'll get busy with my rake!!

Thanks

Charlie

There are bound to be some pods and seeds mixed in with the leaves so I would say that even if leaves are ok, you will have to sweep up VERY carefully. Wisteria pods are extremely toxic and will kill even in very small doses! If you're going to have the bunnies out in the garden, it's probably best to totally get rid of the tree if possible.

Thanks for speedy replies, Looks like i'll be busy with the rake and lawnmower tomorrow then rather than packing ready to move! It must be done though I cant not let the rabbits out in the garden.

The things we do for rabbits!

Please remember when looking at lists of toxic plants that you find on internet, that these lists do not contain "every" toxic plant known to man.
If you check each list as I spent six months doing, you will find some plants listed on one site as toxic and then omitted on another. The safest option is to assume everything is poisonnous, pot them up and remove them from your garden, moving them to the front. Then you can add back in once you have the time to do research. Oxford Botannical Gardens wrote to me when I moved into my house and said I could do some research in their library, six months later I still have not gone. However, I dug everything up and moved it to the front so my rabbits are safe. You still have to be vigilant about weeds such as ivy and ground elder so we always check the garden by having a quick walk around before they go out.

Back