• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hello from somerset!

colliewoman

Mama Doe
hello all!

my name is donna and i live in somerset.
i have kept rabbits since i was a little girl right up to five years ago (i'm 29 now) when i lost my dad and to my horror and shame realised one day that in my grief i had not noticed one of my buns was very poorly. an extremely kind lady said she would take all four in and get the poorly on ewell again and rehome them as a group. i will always be gratefull to that special lady.
my buns lived in a huge run with several hutches in side it. it was about 20 feet square and completely enclosed. when i move they moved into a very big shed and ran around in the garden. my first ever bun lived till he was 19! he was a very special and fiesty bun indeed.
after realising my dreadful mistake with my rabbits i swore never to have any more as i didnt deserve to have such lovely creatures.
that stuck untill november last year. i went to a local farm in the summer to buy some stuff and they said they also had rabbits. the old bunny fever reared its head again so i went and had a look. the hutches were tiny and i quickly left as i didnt feel able to say anything.
in november i went back, i dont know why but i had to go.
the rabbits clearly hadnt been cleaned out since my last visit in the summer :(
they had all had 'a cold' so were 'a bit thin cos they aint eating much'.
i wonder why they were standing on (no exageration here) 2 inches of excrement and had no food bowls. their food was placed on the floor in a heap. i asked if she was willing to let me have a couple of them which she was, at a price. so i got medlar and boo out of that hell hole.
this is boo...
littleboo.jpg

and this is medlar
mylot020.jpg

a visit to the vets later and they have syphillis.
i let the farm know that they hda a serious problem and they agreed to let me take all 6 remaining buns. my vets agreed to give me the penicillin and syringes at cost price to help me sort them out, bless my vets!
mean time a certain animal welfare (ha!) group becomes envolved. i get to the farm and am told, 'you only need to worry about 5 now the dwarf buck is dead'. compassionate or what?
i leave with birch
mylot023.jpg

and aspen
mylot018.jpg

they both have syphillis and aspen had ulcerated corneas from sitting in the ammonia fumes :(
they were all skin and bone. the didnt know how to groom as the hutches werent tall enough to allow them to do so.
i went back a few days later to collect the other 3 to be told, the ***** have been (certain charity) and they have all been euthanised, well she said anethetised but i got what she meant. apparently this huge wonderfull charity cant afford to take on animals that are already sick. even though they knew someone else was coming for them, had already bought the medication needed to sort them out and was dealing with it. but no the bunnies had to die for the sake of me going back 2 days too late :cry:
so it took 3 weeks to finish the course of penicillin, and up till the end of last month to remember how to be rabbits again. aspen has been left with some damage, she rocks from side to side, but is improving every day. she can even binky a little now (oh how i love that word!).
on saturday i took in larch
larch.jpg

bought as a doe with 'her' sister and turned out to be a buck when the nest of kits arrived one morning. they asked if i could take him as they didnt want to advertise him in the paper, he is a cutie and so tiny! he has been trying to chat up boo through the crate door, so they are kept well away from each other now! i'm sure they cant mate through the door, but just in case eh?
well, sorry its such long intro, but that is me!
i hope you can all forgive my past terrible mistakes, i can assure you that it still haunts me now. i know it will NEVER happen again, not to any bun i come into contact with. i will not allow it!
look forward to chatting with you all!
love
donna

Hi and welcome - what a story! These buns are gorgeous and very lucky that you saved them :D
Where abouts in Somerset are you?

Hi and welcome. Your bunnies are lovely, well done for rescuing them! :D Just a word of warning though, rabbits have been known to mate through wire fences so just be careful! Hope to hear more about your lovely bunnies :D

i put a barrier up as soon as i realised that they were chatting through the cage door, they were only unsupervised for 10 minutes i am hoping that 10 minutes was not long enough to manage anything through the door. it was all chin rubbing and stamping on boo's behalf. larch and birch are due to be castrated on tuesday, happy valentines boys!

Back