• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long will a 10Kg bag of rabbits food keep for?

How long will a 10Kg bag of rabbits food keep for?I was thinking of buying a 10 kilo bag but not sure if it will keep,i will be keeping it in the house i normally keep the rabbit food under the stairs,where its cool and dark???

/

most rabbit food will go "soft" after a while if not kept airtight and dry..most quality brands do have a use by date.....but it is usually a few months so stored correctly yours should be fine.

in my house about 2 weeks if i am lucky and the bunnys dont get to the bag first when i am not looking! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I got to keep rabbit food long enough for it to go off!! :shock: :lol:
Which reminds me - I better go. Gotta call at Pet shop for more food :?

So it will be ok to keep it where it is open theres no way i could get a air tight tub big enough :lol: they do get through it but it may be a few weeks tho??

That'll be fine, I use a 10kg sack of Science selective for mine and it probably lasts about 2 months and is still crunchy and gobbled up quickly at the end of the sack.

Depends where I get it from :lol:

Cheapest at the moment is www.Bunnybasics.net (doing an 11.99 offer) there is also an ebay seller who normally does them for 11.99 - just go to ebay and type science selective in the search box, there is only 1 seller! There are other online places but I've always found them to be more expensive. Only problem with buying online is that postage is around £7-8. It's ok if you're buying 3 bags, which you can for that amount of postage, but it really would bump up the cost for just one. I think it has quite a long shelf life or you could donate a bag to a rescue :wink:

Recently I got my vets to order me in a sack which I collected from them the same week. I don't know how much that has cost me yet though as when I was there earlier it was still not on the system. I should think it will be somewhere inbetween the price of a bag with and without the postage, if you see what I mean!

If it's any help, we store our food in a bin. Nice and airtight. I buy it in 20kg sacks (Allen and Page - £6 from local garden centre :D ), we don't go through it that quickly, and it lasts fine.

I think they are supposed to be the best as they are much higher in fibre, around 23% I think, but don't seem to be as readily available as science selective or burgess, and also they don't seem to be as 'tasty' and some bunnies won't eat them. Mine are all very happy on SS and it doesn't give them any problems, so I'm planning on sticking with that for now! If you're going to give the A&P a try, make sure you get the right ones as they also do a breeder and grower pellet (and a mix) which is a totally different makeup.

Iv been pretty lucky with my buns as they will eat burgess,p@h rabbit nuggets,and ss,they will eat what ever you give them and it never affects them,there stools are always normal too,im tempted to try that stuff as iv seen a 20kg bag on ebay for 7.99 :D

At that price it's worth a try - if they won't eat it, I'm sure a rescue will happily take it off your hands!

twilightpagan said:
What is this feed like??Allen & Page Rabbit Pellets??is that the one your saying about??Iv heard of those are they good??

I think they're fab! My bunnies' poos are just beautiful now :oops: Especially Squidgy, who has been prone to tummy trouble in the past, but hasn't had a single episode since we swapped the food.

right youv made my mind up im going to get some,and if bunnys dont like it I will give it to a bunny rescue,I may even get 2 bags next time,1 for me and 1 for the rescue :wink: :D

Back