• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr Thump's Post Mortom Results

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
Well my vet phoned me on Friday night to say she had the results back and he had Pneumonia and Toxin Enteritus Colitus. Basically nothing would have saved him. The toxin is the penicillin that we gave him for at the time a chest infection. He had no other symptoms to show enteritus or colitus but the penicillin obviously didn't do it any good. At least we now know what it is. He had not been on penicillin that long really only about 2 weeks injecting him every other day.
I don't want to scare people about penicillin as I have a rabbit who is 6 yrs old and has been on penicillin since October last year and without it he would never have survived, he as an injection every other day we have tried him 3 days on and 4 days off but this doesn't work for him.

I am not sure if knowing 'why' has helped at all? Enterotoxaemia is always a risk with ANY antibiotic given to bunnies. As you say, Penicillin can be a life saver. Sending hugs to you Kay as I am sure you still really miss your big bun Mr Thumps :cry: Jane and Bunniesxx

i thinks it good that you know what caused it though . when i lost cheekybun i didn,t get a post mortem done as I was too upset at the time to think about it but what it appeared to be was his kidneys and liver was failing :cry: I do wish now though that I did get one done , it would have given me more closure if that makes any sense .

I think when you have numerous rabbits then it is definately a must to get a post mortem done especially when the bun goes down hill fairly rapid as Mr Thumps did and the symptoms were not what he was being treated for.
I feel better knowing that their was nothing I could have done and basically he was like a time bomb really. I know it has certainly made my vet feel better as their was nothing she could have done either, as at the time he was to poorly for her to open him up as he wouldn't have survived a GA. My vet is superb and she did everything she could to make him comfortable. She was very upset when he died.

Back