• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Willie is not well! Update

I have just gone to wake the buns and give them some lettuce and willie is in horrible condition! He Looks extremely thin and he is having trouble walking! He is in a similar condition to the one Leah found Daisy in! HE is nibbleing some lettuce but what do I do?

HElp!!!

was he in contact with Daisy when she was ill?

I guess just phone the emergency vet and have a chat to them - that's what I would do. You can tell if he's dehydrated if you pinch up the skin on the scruff of his neck - if it bounces back straight away he's OK but if it's slow to lie flat he's dehydrated and needs the vets today for sub-cut fluids.

Could he have eaten anything poisonous? How thin was he yesterday? Surely he's not lost weight overnight? Hope he's OK - ring the vets I would say.

None of the vets around here are very rabbit saavy. The best one is 30 minutes away and I don't want to stress him too bad by moving him. I have him seperated from the girls right now and have given him water, pellet, a small chunk of banana, and a very small amount of lettuce, and some hay. I don't think he is dehydrated (checked his skin just now). He had no contact with Daisy during her illness so I doubt he has a disease. I am worried that the girls have been robbing him of food. The last time i gave him a good rub down was 4 days ago. He simmed thinner but nothing alarming. The 3 of them had always been a little "proky" so I thought he had lost a healthy amount of weight!

I will get him into the vets ASAP but that might not be until tuesday! :(

I don't want to unduly worry you but if I were you I would really try and get to a vet before that - rabbits go downhill extremely quickly when they are sick and Tuesday could be too late :cry: Personally I would phone the rabbit savvy vet and see what they say - it could be that a half hour journey is less risky than waiting another couple of days. What sort of lettuce is he eating? Many types of lettuce aren't very good for bunnies, so I wouldn't feed him any more at the moment. Have you any porridge oats? Some of those soaked in some warm water might tempt him to eat and they are also good for feeding to thin bunnies. Good luck, hope Willie is ok.

Willie is doing much better now. He has eaten a handful of pellet, some hay, and he is drinking now. He also has started hopping out of his pen so he is starting to feel like his old self. I think the girls were preventing him from eating enough.

Him jumping out of the pen is problem now. I can't leave him free range in my room but I don't think I should try and put him back with the girls just yet. Any ideas?

I have moved him to a crate to keep him secure. I am glad to say that Willie is feeling much better. I will still get him to the vet ASAP. I think I will also take the girls along just to make sure that all is well with them. Willie has perked up quite a bit since he has been eating something all day. I will update everyone in the morning,m or after they have gone to the vet, whichever is more appropriate.

Thanks for your help Elve!

Back