• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House buns going to live outdoors

luvhandles

Young Bun
Hi, My name is Hayley and we have 2 Buns both nearly 2 yrs old who live inside in a large 2 storey condo imported from USA. We have recently sold our house and will be moving to a much better area but the house is smaller but has a big garden. Inside the house there isn't enough room for the condo so I am thinking about housing the buns outdoors in a large playhouse (with the condo inside) with a run attatched onto the grass. I have discussed this with my rabbit savvy vet nurse and she says that this arrangement will be fine as long as I wait until spring when the frost has gone for good. Can anyone give me any good advise on outdoor care - they are litter trained now and use a tray in the condo - the rest is carpeted....do I carry on with this or put bedding all over the bottom of the condo?? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hayley

your vet nurse is right as to the best time to put them out side .
As for the litter trays etc i would carry on as you are . there is no reason why they cant still be litter trained outside and this will make cleaning much easier for you
Angie

sounds ideal if you wait till spring - mine all use litter trays outside in hutch/shed - Make sure you step up fly prevention though - mozzy mesh or net curtain stapled to window and all the smelly repellants - flies are evil!

Thanks for the replies. What is the best way to go about keeping the buns warm in winter? If I put any straw/hay anywhere - even in the sleeping hidyhole they HAVE to wee on it :roll: does anyone have any suggestions on heating a playhouse in the winter months?

Thanks

Hayley

If they go out in summer they will grow a winter coat in time for winter - mine don't have any heating - just their litter trays full of hay - I give the girls a pet fleecy mat to snuggle up on though as the floor is concrete. Benny in his hutch just has a deep box with hay in - He's actually decided it's too good to wee in and now gets out of 'bed' to wee on the floor :roll:
I cover his hutch with a couple of rugs and I think he's warmer than the girls - Plus I've been giving them all double rations of pellets since it got cold.

Back