• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

a harsh warning...

maxxev

Mama Doe
I hope ive put this in the right section but I feel this important and as many people as possibal should read this.

Two weeks ago i was the proud owner of four wonderfull rabbits, a ginger dutch, a magpie cross, a mini lop and a continental giant who after nursing her through a trumatic kidney complaint and a ruptured abdominal caviety was the world to me. My mum, who loved my bunnies as much as i did was always mindful of thair welfare. Except at night when they lived in the kitchen, the rabbits had the run of our entire garden. We knew that certain plants were poisionous to rabbits and took care to make the garden as bunny friendly as possibal to the extent of putting any dead suspect bouquets in the green cone where they would be out of reach, unfortunatly last saturday my mum threw out a wreath christmas foliage onto the compost heap. Curious as ever my babies found it. Two hours later all but Joey, my mini lop were dead.
to start with, unable to explain thair deaths i took thair bodies to my vet who was as mystified as i was, but upon arriving home my mum told me she remebered throwing out the wreath. when we examined it more closley we noticed that the wreath had contained a sprig of laurel and out of this several small nibbles had been made in the end of one of its leaves.
LAUREL containes CYANIDE.

The cause of death was later confirmed by a toxicology examination.

What scares me most is that there is NO antidote and the amount needed to cause death is tiny. My rabbits had eaten no more than a mouth full each of just ONE leaf and it was enough to kill them.
This plant is not listed in any books i have read on rabbits including the 'rabbitlopedia' and when I contacted the British Rabbit Assosiation they had never heard of a like incident having occured befor.

please, please if you have rabbits do not expose them to this plant. just one leaf is all it takes to snatch away for ever somone you love.

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible loss. Thanks for advising of this. I cut down the laurel bush when we moved to this house as I had heard of children being very sick after eating its leaves, but I didnt know it was cyanide :shock:

i am so sorry to hear about the lose of your bunnies. i for one (being no gardener anyway) have no plants or slowers in my garden and i only have flowers i know wont hurt the bunnies in the house as my two have climbed before to get at vases of fresh cuts.

again i am so sorry to hear about your buns and thanl again for the warning

Eve x

thank you for the support. my mum has just rang me to tell me that after a home visit today by the rabbit rescue center we have been aprroved to rehome a rabbit. despite the fact that Joey is now the center of attention we felt it was best to find him a companion i know that Scrumples, Peggy and Leela would approve of us offering a loving home to a bunny who so far had been unable to find one.

I am so sorry to hear what happened to your lovely buns. I can imagine how devasted you both are finding them. Its so good that through this forum you have been able to warrn others of the dangers. There are always new things to learn about rabbits and us owners are very grateful. Hope you soon get your new bun. Pam

So sorry to hear about your buns, it was very kind of you to think of us all & let us know about laurel.

Hugs to you & your Mum.

Rosex

I am so, so sorry to hear this, it must have been utterly horrifying to experience this. I am so grateful that in your despair you still think of others and warn us all of this danger. thankyou so much, I am already careful with plants as I have cats as well but to reiterate the danger of hidden bits, so to speak is gratefully aknowledged. I am so sorry you had to go through this and think that having some more bunnies/ a bunny to care for and befriend your bunny will be super. I hope you are all very happy together and wish you well.

tomjacob said:
I am so, so sorry to hear this, it must have been utterly horrifying to experience this. I am so grateful that in your despair you still think of others and warn us all of this danger. thankyou so much, I am already careful with plants as I have cats as well but to reiterate the danger of hidden bits, so to speak is gratefully aknowledged. I am so sorry you had to go through this and think that having some more bunnies/ a bunny to care for and befriend your bunny will be super. I hope you are all very happy together and wish you well.

Yes my thoughts exactly that in your time of sorrow you shared the information - thankyou

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss :( I can't imagine how devastating it must be. Thank you for warning us and letting us know your story. Best of luck with your new rescue bun.

What a horrible thing to happen :cry:

Laurel is dreadful. We lost a goat to it once :cry:
I used to take them for walks in the field to eat grass and one of the kids decided to go off exploring (I had Mum on a long lead rope, they usually wouldn't leave her) and he found a new laurel hedge that the council had planted :cry: It only took a few bites :cry:

Back