• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age can i start giving chompy veggies?

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
Hey guys,

What age can i start giving chompy veggies? Also what is the best thing to give him.. he is about 11 weeks old now..

The lady said to give him tomatoes (just a little) as it has a vitimin they need in it??

Thanks for helping..

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

tomatoes stop floppy rabbit syndrome, but I don't think the majority of rabbits are in any danger of that - correct me if I'm wrong someone please!

You can introduce veg around now, but it's crucial to be patient and only introduce one new type of veg a month.

Start off by giving him just a coin sized piece of whatever veg you want to give him - then miss a day, so he has one day with veg and one day without - That will help his stomach build up levels of bacteria to digest it, and you can see if it upsets his tum.

So do this one day on, one day off with only one type of veg, over about 2 weeks, gradually making the pieces of veg bigger, assuming it doesn't upset his stomach - If his poos get loose then stop and leave it a while - If he has diarrea then take him to the vets immediately as baby rabbits get dehydrated easily.

Make sure the veg is washed clean too. I just found bird muck on the greens for my lot!

So after 3 weeks he should be eating one veg - Then you can go through the whole process patiently again with a different type of veg, still giving him the first veg daily, but the new veg in small bits every other day.

They don't want fruit, or sweetcorn, or iceberg lettuce, or tomatoes I'd say - and not a lot of carrot even when grown up - just a few inches a day. Greens are best, and mine love brocolli too but it can cause gas I've heard.

Just what i think its not normal for rabbits to have tomatoes. I heard of someone telling someone that when they got a rabbit and it turned out the bun had already had floppy bunny :roll: , but they still sold it and told the new owner to give tomatoes i think so it wouldnt relapse in the near future. I hope this is not the case. On giving veg were all different my babys are not used to any veg so if they go to someone else i say not to introduce any till there about 3mths then start very slowly. If you get loose motions then cut it down and give smaller amounts. If the rabbit has had it at it origanal home then theres no problem. val

What is 'floppy bunny syndrome', I've not come across that one on here before.

Candy lolls about all the time when she's in her cage, showing her tummy and things and if there's food within easy nibbling distance will chomp away on that while shes lying down.

Just one more thing to worry about..... lol :lol:

When we went to buy a hutch from a petshop, the girl said not to feed rabbits potato, lettuce or tomatoes, don't know if that's right but I haven't just in case.

Definatly no to potatoes and lettuce is surposed to give them runs,tomatoes i dont no about iv not fed mine them anyway!!The other vegs are ok,like greens,cabbage,carrots,brocolli,dandylions when in season,kale,and radishes mine love a radish! :D

Back