• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit of a shock the other day.

KazPetts

Warren Scout
The other day my daughter had brought her rabbit into the house, normally she stays with him but for some reason she left him on the sofa whilst she came upstairs to ask me and her dad something (please bear in mind I didn't even know she had him out of his cage). When I went to go downstairs our new dog Benji, a lab retriever had well eeerm retrieved Thomas the bunny. He was carefully carrying him in his mouth up the stairs to us. The expression on his face was one of, here you left this downstairs and I thought I would bring him for you. Obviously I was shocked and told the dog off and my daughter for leaving the rabbit unattended. The bunny was not hurt and there was no slobber on his neck either. The bunny didn't even seem bothered about what had happened, he actually seemed to be enjoying the ride. However a valuable lesson was learned that when we have the bunnies out we know now to shut our lab out of the lounge and leave him in the hallway as although I don't think he would deliberatly harm a bunny he is clumsy and I can see him wanting to play and pounce on one and hurt it.
Please don't yell at me for not keeping an eye on her with her rabbit cause like said neither me nor her dad knew she had got him out. We have told her now that if she wants to get him out she lets us know first so we can stay nearby. :oops: :oops:

I wouldn't yell at you,it was an accident of course :D
Its amazing that your dog was so careful with the bun though, you were very lucky!! Quite a story you've got!

xxx

He is a dopey dog but all he wants to do is play and please us, we got him 4 weeks ago from rescue and he is starting to settle into the family quite nicely, my youngest is only 4 and she cuddles him and lays on him and he just sits there taking in the affection. He is starting to learn how to be loved and love back. He is a great dog.

Ahh I think i was lovely, glad the bunny wasn't hurt, I think the dog thought it was a puppy :lol:

Ali and Barney

possibly but would a male dog carry a puppy like that as well as a female dog.
Whatever he thought like what has already been said at least the bunny wasn't hurt. The expression on the bunnies face kinda said 'well last time I looked I was in that other room, what the heck am I doing here?'

What a scary story! Lucky it was a Lab you have got and not another breed!! At least you know now that he is fine with bunnies! He was just doing what comes naturally to him, retreiving something he thought you might like :) They have incredibly soft mouths as they are bred to go out on shhots and retrieve the game but they musn't mark it so a good gundog has a soft mouth + is very careful. Sounds like he would enjoy doing some gundog training and that he woud be very good at it!

Aww bless him :lol: Molly my cocker got one of my guinea pigs out of their run about a year ago now. She got it out of the run and put it down in the garden and was just laid down watching her run around. She wasn't injured at all, but was keeping Molly intrigued!

PHEW!! Thank goodness for soft-mouthed Labs......A lesson learnt for all concerned.

Yeah, don't let the little one get her bunny out and bring him in the house unless we know about it and don't let Benji the lab near the bunny.
Like said at least he has a very soft mouth and the bunny despite being elderly didn't seem overly concerned about his short journey in the dogs mouth.

Back