• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald red sore area - Update HVD reaction

Hells

Warren Scout
Hello

Peanut had his HVD jab yesterday.

I've just gone to give him his dinner and let him out. Giving him a stroke I felt a crusty lump about 1 inch behind his ears to one side. On closer inspection he has an area about the size of a 1p coin that is bald and red and very sore looking. It is not bleeding. I can't remember where exactly he had the jab, it was all over so quick. Could he have just scratched and done this to himself? Or perhaps it's a reaction to the jab?

He doesn't seem too bothered, he is eating and now dashing round the bedroom.

Is there anything I can do? I will call the vet in the morning to ask their advice. Any thoughts much appreciated, I just need some re-assurance as I've not this before in my years of bunny ownership.

Thanks
Helen
x

Hi

It sounds very similar to what Sooty has on his shoulder/neck. I spoke to the vets and she thinks it is probably a reaction to a jab when he was castrated.

Hiya. Dont worry. The VHD Vaccine often causes a local reaction as it is an oil based vaccine. Just keep an eye on the sore area to check it is not becoming infected. It may get very crusty and look horrible but should clear up in a couple of weeks. One way to reduce the risk of a local reaction is to ensure that the Vet uses a DIFFERENT needle to inject the bun from the needle used to draw up the Vaccine. As long as the sore area remains dry and is not distressing your bun it should be ok. I have found it best not to put any creams/ointments on the sore skin as that can aggrevate the area even more. Jane and BUNS XX

Thanks Sue, Thanks Jane

You've put my mind at ease. My heart was really thumping when I first found it and had a close look.

Helen
x

Reaction to VHD Jab

Hello

I've just had a very close look at Peanut and I'm not happy.

His sore has got much bigger, bigger than a 50p coin. There is no hair at all and it looks like the sore has got much deeper, there is a real hollow in him.

Has anyone else got any experience of this kind of reaction???

My mind was previously put at ease but now I think I will have to take him back to the vet as it looks awful and Peanut is not his happy bouncy self. He seems very sorry for himself :cry:

Yep Smokie had a terrible reaction to his last VHD injection he lost the fur on his back the size of a credit card and it became red and sore. I popped a bit of nappy rash cream on it after it was still sore after3weeks, and that cleared it up. He still has a tiny bald patch on his neck and the vet has advised me not to get him done again against VHD.

If a bunny is looking sorry for themselves I'd usually take that as a sign that they should see a vet. It sounds most likely that it's a reaction to the VHD injection (relatively common to varying degrees) but it's possible that it has gone infected, especially if he's not quite himself, so it wouldn't hurt for the vet to see him again. Hope he's ok, let us know how you get on!

Princess had a reaction like this about 6-7 weeks ago with her VHD jab, but she was still her usual crazy self thoughout! She had a bald patch which was quite large + did shock me when I first saw it was sore and red as well. I spoke to the vet and she said it should clear up and to give it 6 weeks before she has her Myxi jab. In the past week the fur has started to grow back. After about a week the redness + soreness cleared up and it was just a bald patch! It went all 'crusty' too, not nice to look at!

Nicola

Peanut update :)

The Vet said he had never seen such a bad reaction, not even in text books. He was so interested he took photos for research and to send to the manufacturer of the vaccine.

Apparently the vaccine can cause the area to spasm which stops blood flow to the area so the skin then dies.

I've got a course of baytril, the Vet said there be no charge for any after care that is required, they will invoice the manufacturer. I call that good service :lol:

Hells said:
I've got a course of baytril, the Vet said there be no charge for any after care that is required, they will invoice the manufacturer. I call that good service :lol:

That's super :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Update with pic

Hi all

Hope this pic doesn't put anyone off their dinner. Sorry.

PoorlyPeanut.jpg

I just wanted to share the effects of the jab.

As it is an annual jab I am really considering not making Peanut have it again. How can I be sure that this will not happen every time? I don't suppose you can tell but I wonder if it is worth this sort of reaction. Anyone got a bunnie that has had a reaction and been OK with subsequent jabs?

this is what hapened to bailey after his vhd jab last year . It was so sore looking and he was a bit down for a day or two . the vet gave him a painkilling shot (no charge for the shot tho :D ) and he was fine a day or two after. I personally would not put anything on the sore as its got to dry up to heal . A sore may appear but this will scab over and then fall off . (vet advised me to leave it well alone and it healed with 10 days) . Funny thing was tho - bailey was jet black at that spot but it grew in white :shock:

heres the pic .

P9170103.jpg

Hiya, I've had this with candy after her VHD, within 24hrs of having her inj she had a sore which she had scratched the top of, it was very very red and the fur had started to fall out.
I took her back to the vet and was told it was a reaction to the injection, he told me to use the same cream that I use for my daughters ezema, its called,fucidin H, it's the same as the cream he would give me only purer.

It took about 4 days to clear up but lots more fur fell out and the fur that grew back is like baby bunny hair and a diff colour to the rest of her.

Poor Peanut! His was much worse than Princess', hers was more like the other pic of Bailey. Did the vet say anything about having it done in the future? I obv don't want her to get VHD but the reaction is also rather horrible! Amy and my late Pippa didn't have a reaction like this and I don't recall Princess having that type of reaction to her first VHD jab.

Nicola

Back