• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run mesh

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
We have a good sized run (9ft x 6ft) built next to our shed with a double hutch inside the shed and a cat flap leading out to the run. To save money when building the run, we had to use chicken wire for the sides and roof. I think we used 2 rolls and that cost about £20. This has been fine for 8 months, but our persistant rabbit has chewed a few holes in it and will soon break out! There are also bits of chewed wire sticking out which have now been trimmed to prevent injury. I have to remove all the chicken wire and start again, but need something that is going to be stronger and safe but cheap. The heavy duty meshing that we used for the hutch door cost £9.99 for a 3ft x 2ft piece, so that would cost a fortune to cover the run and is therefore not an option. The only good thing about the chicken wire is that it gives good visibilty, but it's just not up to the job. Any ideas? Thanks.

rab2.jpg

Could you perhaps use the better quality stuff on the bottom of the run, just where the buns can reach?
If it's a run that the bunnies are out in unsupervised I would definately consider using a stronger mesh all over as foxes could easily rip open chicken wire and rats etc. could fit through it.

You want weld mesh rather than chicken wire. You can buy this on the roll though it's more expensive. I think it costs about £30 for a 3'x30m roll.

I'd actually go for something a little smaller hole wise than you have currently. It stops foxes/cats getting a paw through or the bun getting a nose through.

Tam

I got a 30m roll from ebay.It cost 39.99.It is quite strong and alot better than chicken wire.

Ideally, I'd like to have a mesh roll that's the same height as the chicken wire, which is just under 1 metre. This will mean I don't have to join bits to make the height. I have seen a 30m roll of mesh on ebay (item no. 7740377147) that looks promising. Would this work? If so, I wonder if I can pick some similar stuff up locally to save on postage...

rab1.jpg

By just under a meter do you mean 90cm. You can get 3' high rolls :)

Just looked at ebay.. yes that's the stuff I've had before. I paid about that but from a local diy store so no postage. You should hopefully be able to find some identical stuff if you go round B&Q,homebase etc.

Tam

tmak, that looks like a good possible alternative and cheap. Hard to tell how much thicker than chicken wire it is from the pics, but it does look a lotter heavier than than stuff I have. Post with your opinions when it turns up. Thanks.

I think it would be better to space wooden struts at 2' intervals and use 2' wide mesh stapled to it - Much stronger than a wide area of mesh, and easier to repair.

Good idea elve, I was thinking of doing that as a last resort. Only thing is that it was really difficult to hammer the u-hooks in to secure the mesh originally. Must be the kind of wood. I would need to use a lot more hooks doing it this way. I'm dreading doing it as it is! Maybe I can borrow some kind of industrial stapler instead to make the job easier....

well if you do each panel flat to the floor, and only join it up into a run when it's all wired that would be easier - staplegun would be a lot easier too, although U shaped nails are more fox-proof. you can't really do it while it's standing upright as you need to bang it onto something or you'll break the wood. Might be easier just to dismantle it?

Back