• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lilly is at the vets being speyed...

Tiger Lilly

Warren Scout
Took lilly to the vets this morning, i'm picking her up at 4.45 this afternoon.

I'm really scared as to what to expect and how to help her recover (she is my first girl bun and i'd hate to think she was in pain due to my lack on knowledge on how to help her! ) and just really wondering if anyone has any kind words of wisdom for me??

She's a house bun, so i know she''ll be kept nice and warm while she heals and i've heard grated apple and carrot is good to help her start eating. No hay to lie on as it may get into the wound...

please help all you lovely people!!xx :roll:

Awww Lilly will be fine XX Make sure she has plenty of Water, food and hay and if you can a peice of vet bed to lye on XX If your worried at all about her after she's home give your vet a ring as they should be able to put your mind at rest.

All fingers and paws crossed for Lilly. I'm sure she'll be fine. I'll be going through exactly the same thing in 10 days time, and so not looking forward to it.

she just seems so small to be going through all the pain! poor little love! :( i'll be keeping a close eye on her to make sure she starts eating and drinking ok. i've got some vet bed ordered so hopefully it might have arrived when we get home.

i'm sure i'll be asking plenty of questions these next through days :) ! xx

Hi, how is Lily? Did you get her home? Make sure you keep offering her a drink as she will probably be too tired and uncomfortable to be able to get to her water on her own. Hope she is ok. Thinking of you both. Pam

Hope Lily is ok - if the vetbed hasn't arrived you could use something like a towel or I used a bath mat once :lol:

I'd suggest having a bowl of water available as well as a bottle, if she usually has a bottle, as she may find a bowl easier to drink from. The more she drinks, the quicker she will feel better!

If she hasn't started eating by tomorrow morning, I'd phone the vet as she may need to have more pain relief and maybe something to stimulate her appetite.

I was just about to post the same thing!

Hope Lilly is OK. How is she?

Middy was spayed today, too. She is moving about but is quite sleepy-eyed and has only nibbled on a tiny bit of hay but sips at her water now and then. I put it in a bowl by her side so she doesn't have to stretch or strain. I got her some vet bed, which she loves. She has literally just started nibbling on a piece of broccoli, so fingers crossed she will keep on eating... She hasn't done any poos yet though!

*sorry to hijack!! I hope little Lilly is doing fine...*

Middy xx

Glad Middy is eating a little. Mine was really sleepy the first night. Bet she will be eating more by the morning. By tomorrow evening I expect she will be moving about a bit more too. Good luck, will be thinking of you both. Pam

Thanks, Pam.

I do hope she starts to eat soon... she hasn't had anything this morning except a small bit of cardboard from a kitchen roll tube in her cage! I'm getting a bit worried. Shall I see how she goes this afternoon? It's been 24 hrs now since the op...

Aww I hope she's ok. With the all ops I've witnessed things usually go ok.
The animal is usally quite sedated for a couple of hours after. I remember seeing Flopsy after his castration (we thought he was she so my sister in law told me) and he was so lifeless. Not like Flops at all :roll: :cry:

But I'm glad I did it .. otherwise I'd have loads of bunnies be now :wink:

Middy is doing much better, thanks!! I was sooo happy to see her hunt out her broccoli from her bowl and have a chomp. She is a house bunny but we have kept her in her cage to make sure she rests - she did come out once today but seemed to hop awkwardly so she was straight back in and seemed happy to be on her vet bed again. She has her post-op check tomorrow morning... Touch wood, she's lookin' OK.
Thanks for all your support!
xx

PS: Tiger Lilly, how is Lilly? Hope all's well.

hi everyone. sorry i haven't checked here over the weekend, i don't have access to a computer at home.

Lilly is doing well! :D When we first got her home on friday night i wanted to cry! :cry:
Her vet bed had arrived so we popped her straight in her cage and she looked so tired and sleepy. she didn't move much all night but did manage to nibble a little hay and have a drink.

saturday morning she was much the same. she didn't look like she'd ate or drank much overnight but fed her some grated apple and carrot which she muched straight away and gave her have a drink out of her bowl by puttin it under her chin. she came out of her cage, had a little wander round then for the rest of the afternoon she sat in the sun which was shining through our front room window looking very relaxed.

i think she i well on the road to recovery! she had ate all of her supper last night and looked alot more 'herself' this morning !

so happy! we have a check up this friday to see how everything is healing etc.
xxx

Glad to hear that little Lilly is on the mend and is eating properly. I know what you mean - it's almost painful to see them so helpless. I felt guilty seeing Middy so lethargic. But she had her post-op check today and the nurse was pleased. There's a bit of stitch sticking out that I will trim off later, in case she decides to chew it!!

Middy has to stay in her cage for a week as she has a tendency to race around like a loony in here. Nurse said it's best as her insides need to heal and it's early days.

Good luck with the post-op check, Tiger Lilly. I'm sure she will be fine.

M xx

i'm pleased the nurse was happy with middy!
bet you feel a little better knowing that she's ok too.

Sending hugs to middy xx

Back