• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aftercare of speying

ljs383

Warren Scout
Hi everyone Molly is booked in to be speyed next week and I was wondering is there anything I should do before or after the op, should I keep her indoors that night?

Thanks

Lynda

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=16091

more than just one night indoors at this time of year - more like a week or 2 - needs to be restricted to a smallish cage for a couple of days so she doesn't stretch and pull her stitches - needs water in a bowl as well as a bottle, incase it hurts her to reach up - needs nursing, so ideally take a couple of days off work as she needs encouraging to eat - stock up on her favourite veg, but don't start veg if she's never had it before....urm...what else? Don't bed her on hay as it may poke her wound - get some vet bed and a snugglesafe unless your house is warm at night, or you can put her next to a heater, get some feeding syringes and recovery if she's not on pellets - if she has pellets you can mush some up with boiled water and apple baby food to syringe if she's not eating by day 2...Check what type of stitches your vet will use - should be internal, invisible and dissolveable - you may have complications otherwise if she chews them - I'm assuming even the worst vet knows to use isofluorane gas these days with bunnies, but you could check that too...

wonder why I haven't got my girls spayed yet? :lol:

Hiya! Yes definitely keep her indoors overnight, the anaesthetic drops their blood pressure and body temperature, she will get very cold outside. Ideally keep her on vetbed/towels etc rather than wood shavings/straw/hay so that there is nothing to poke into the wound. But she must be offered hay to eat. Stock up on her favourite foods to tempt her to eat as soon as possible. Also if you can, provide a bowl of water if she usually just has a bottle, they get very thirsty and find it far easier to drink quickly from a bowl - this also helps to keep their gut moving and flush the anaesthetic through.

Keep her nice and quiet and encourage her to eat, when you collect her from the vets, check that they have given her a painkiller and if they haven't - insist that they do! You'd be surprised how many vets don't routinely give pain relief to rabbits! If she hasn't eaten by the following morning, ring the vet as she will probably need to go back for more pain relief/something to stimulate the gut.

Good luck, it is so worrying but it really is for the best!

Back