• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ear wax

honey

Alpha Buck
this may sound a bit daft :oops:

i checked baileys ears on the weekend and his left one has quite a lot of wax in it. i think it's because since he broke his leg his back left leg sticks out a bit and i've noticed he can't stick his foot in his ear to clean it out :?

he'll be going to the vet the week after next to have it checked but i was wondering how i'll be able to get the wax out long term????

i did try and remove some very carefully on the weekend and again last night but he hates it and it's really too deep (although i got a tiny bit out but then he ate the wax :shock: :oops: )

i'm guessing there's drops available but he's only just gone one and i don't really want him to be on drops forever.

i did a search and read that olive oil can be used but how do you use it?

Hiya. You are right, buns who have any hind leg disability often get mucky ears. I wouldn't poke anything into his ear, like a cotton bud. That can do more harm than good. I would get your vet to check your Buns eardrums are intact before you put anything into them. Your Vet may then be able to give you a special solution for ear cleaning. You just put a few drops of the solution into the ear, massage the base of the ear and then wipe away any loosened wax with a cotton wool pad. As my Nan always used to say ....NEVER put anything smaller than an ELBOW in an ear!! :wink: :wink: Jane and Buns xx

hi jane, i wouldn't stick anything down his ears and if i tried i'd probably lose my hand :shock:

the bit i got out was almost at the edge of his ear but the rest is all in the little holes (canals?) which is why i was wondering how on earth i would manage that long term. i'll let the vet figure it out :lol:

honey said:
hi jane, i wouldn't stick anything down his ears and if i tried i'd probably lose my hand :shock:

just read that back and realised he sounds like psycho rabbit :twisted:

well actually he is a bit although he's very bright and affectionate most of the time he does let me know with a sharp nip if he's had enough :lol:

My 2nd rabbit had this problem. The vet prescribe a product called Specicare, cat ear Cleaner. But it can be used on rabbits.

You pour some deep inside his ear, the bottle comes with a long tube type opening. You then rube the base of his ear, i.e., you massage it to make the oil spread around the inside base of his ear.

The bunny will then shake his head, and the desolve wax come out. When the vet was doing it in front of me years ago, I was surprise at the size of those wax that came out

I had to do this with my cat recently. All I can say is that it looked so simple when the vet did it :lol:

thanks! he saw the vet yesterday who said both ears are bad so he's on drops for five days, he had the first lot at the vets yesterday and kept so still but i bet he won't be that good later :roll:

there was a lot of head shaking afterwards :D

Happy Hopping said:
My 2nd rabbit had this problem. The vet prescribe a product called Specicare, cat ear Cleaner. But it can be used on rabbits.

You pour some deep inside his ear, the bottle comes with a long tube type opening. You then rube the base of his ear, i.e., you massage it to make the oil spread around the inside base of his ear.

The bunny will then shake his head, and the desolve wax come out. When the vet was doing it in front of me years ago, I was surprise at the size of those wax that came out

this is what I am using on Eddie bun at the moment as he has an on going wax problem. I have to do it every other day and just clean with a cotton wool bud just as far as the eye can see. Have to agree with Alison though, the vet made it look sooo easy, we get sprayed with the stuff when Eddie bun shakes his head :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's quite easy when I do it too, the trick is to massage enough so the oil fully absorbed inside, that way, there is more wax come out. If some of them are coming out, but didn't quite make it, see if you can help it with a kleenex or a cotton swab. If you reach your baby finger with a kleenex, you can catch the wax that came out half way.

Happy Hopping said:
It's quite easy when I do it too, the trick is to massage enough so the oil fully absorbed inside, that way, there is more wax come out. If some of them are coming out, but didn't quite make it, see if you can help it with a kleenex or a cotton swab. If you reach your baby finger with a kleenex, you can catch the wax that came out half way.

I found it easier when I had to do it on my cats, Eddie bun is a different story, I can get the drops in and rub his ears but then he takes of like a rocket :roll: he will not come near me for ages after that :roll: :lol: :lol:

well bailey had his drops last night and he wasn't too bad :D but just as i finished the phone rang so i went to get it and when i walked back in the room (literally a few seconds) he was trying to eat the nozzle :? :roll:

strange rabbit :!:

Back