• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blocked scent gland?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
I have noticed on Evo's bum for a while now that one of his bum scent glands is blocked. There is about 2mm of brown really hard stuff sticking out of either side of it (looks like its almost about to form a little circle :shock: ). I've tried to remove it, but don't want to pull too hard, as the skin looks very thin there, and he seems a bit uncomfortable when I fiddle with it. The other gland is completely clean and clear.

I've never noticed it bother him but I've made a vet appointment for tomorrow. Is it something that should be left alone, of should I get the vet to remove it (I can't do it myself). I looked through a few old posts, and some of you say not to clean them, but this build up is REALLY hard. :? I should have got them to sort it when he was under for his teeth, but I never gave it a thought.

Oh, I spend a lot of my time looking at Evo's bum.
4.gif

Just whip it out with a cotton bud! But beware it stinks! do it in a well ventilated area or you will retch!

Phill said:
Just whip it out with a cotton bud! But beware it stinks! do it in a well ventilated area or you will retch!

It's really wedged in! And rock hard, I think it might take a few sessions to soften it first, will that be ok? :oops:

do you need to? i did a couple last year on jays advice but when you have as manuy as i have got it can take a complete day :roll: :roll: so i asked my vet and he said leave it its doesnt cause a problem! so i no longer bother! :D

Rallybunny said:
Cool, I will buy some cotton buds....bit cheaper than the vets! :D
Dont forget the smelling salts FOR YOU!! As Phill says the waxy discharge is WELL WHIFFY!! :shock: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

I would just leave it alone. That brown gunk is perfectly normal, and as you say the skin is very thin there. You could cause a problem where there isn't one.

I did fudges not that long ago after read over posts on here, cuz I thought that area was really smelly, since then, they haven't been blocked or as smelly.......like you I inspect fudges bottom area quite well....I'm paranoid I'll miss something if I don't!!!!!! Fudge doesn't seem too mind too much either, just lays back and goes all trance-like!!!

Back