• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Lion Head Teddy

apr0904

New Kit
Hi I'm new to the site, its fantastic! I'm having a really hard time at the moment, One of my treasured bunnies passed away recently, leaving poor Teddy on his own. He's really sad, so we've moved him indoors but we work very long hours so he's on his own most of the time. I can't have another bunny as I promised my husband that these two would be the last! So I think I'm going to have to find him a lovley new home as it seems he prefers Bunny company to ours! Don't really know where to start though! :cry:

Oh no, what a shame for you and Teddy :( Is there no way of convincing your hubby? Afterall, he did agree to having 2 before!!

Aww, good luck in whatever you decide, we can see you are trying to do the best for your bun xx

Hello and Welcome to the forum im sorry to hear of yours and teddy's loss XX You can either speak to Tamsin or Adele about putting a post in Rabbits in Need or you could take him to a rescue centre XXX

Hello. Sorry to read of your recent bereavement and that Teddy is feeling depressed. Even though you work all day are you at home most evenings/weekends?? Although it is not ideal to have just one Bunny you might be able to work out a compromise. A new home for Teddy aswell as bereavement is also going to be stressful. Bunnies do tend to snooze most of the day. Their times of activity being the mornings/evenings. So could you allow Teddy a hop around a bunny proof room whilst you are having breakfast/getting ready for work. Then ensure he has some toys in his hutch/cage. An old paperback book to rip up, an empty cereal packet, cardboard inner tubes from kitchen rolls etc. You could also leave a radio on for some background noise. Then in the evening Teddy could have some more exercise time. He could hop around whilst you are watching TV having dinner etc. He will then get used to being around you and will become more 'people friendly'. Of course if you really feel that you can not provide him with adequate attention then I would try re-homing him yourself before taking him to a rescue. Getting him neutered/ vaccinated (if he is not already) will also help in the re-homing process and is only fare if you intend to hand him over to a rescue. Best wishes for what-ever you decide to do. It is obvious you have Teddy's best interests at heart. Jane and Buns xx

Teddy

I really think Teddy is a fraud!!! It's been so upsetting seeing him sad which was why I posted the last message, but would you believe it, last night he was playing and leaping around the front room like a rabbit posessed, so maybe hes quite happy with his life after all? Thanks for you replies they really helped. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bless him, maybe he heard you talking about rehoming him!! :lol: And decided he is happy with you and wants to stay! :lol: :lol:

Hope he stays happy!

If not though what about an older rabbit? If you adopt one older than Teddy then your husband mightn't feel he was being set up for a never ending run of bunnies.

You'll also provide a home for a bunny that might find it hard being adopted otherwise, theres a section for 'senior' rabbits up for adoption at rabbit rehome and lots of 3+ rabbits as well

now i've looked at them I want one. Lucky I'm in australian really

:lol:

Like Jane says, they sleep all day anyway, and a new home would be extra stress on top of bereavement - You might find that it was the new environment of being indoors that was making him withdrawn if he's not used to it - Tia is only just starting to relax after 4 months!

I would get Teddy a teddy as well - they can get very attached to a soft toy, grooming and snuggling it (well yes they may hump it too :roll: )
I'm sure he'll settle in and be a happy singleton - Lots of people here have single rabbits, including myself, who seem happy with life. :)

Back