• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping a Bunny WARM After a GA......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure if anyone will find this helpful. :? :? I have read quite a few posts about buns being slow to recover from a GA and that no advice has been given by the treating Vet re keeping bunny warm after an anaesthetic. Personally I do not think ANY bunny should be outside after a GA, even if they have previously always been an outdoor rabbit or if it is Summertime. The GA will cause the buns blood pressure to drop and it will be a real struggle for them to maintain their body temperature. I think post GA buns should be placed in a quiet warm but well ventilated room. A snugglesafe should also be provided. A bunny who is very cold will take much longer to start to eat and drink and this increases the risk of GI stasis. Jane and Buns xx

I agree Jane! We put all the buns who have had GA's in the house for a night with some nice vet bed. They do recover much quicker!

Thank you Jane.

I've just spoken to my dad who brought Sasha in, and she's started eating now which is great! :D

Thanks again! xx

It also makes it easier to keep an eye on them if they start having a pull at their wound and to feed them tit bits to tempt them to eat again :D

Janice

My vets advised me to do this after Evo's most recent dental, but have never before. Mind you, this is the vets that told me to starve him before he was neutered!!! :roll: Luckily, they have got a couple of new vets that are very good with buns now.

Quinns being neutered next week and ive already been planning to steal the dogs cage for him as Rosie nicked his cage lol and his vet bed and snugglesafe are ready for him

*Red* said:
I've just spoken to my dad who brought Sasha in, and she's started eating now which is great! :D
YAY! That's great news, hopefully Sasha is well on the road to recovery now :D

Back