• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I encourage Harvey to drink more water?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

Harvey, my wild bunny, doesn't seem to drink as much as my other bunny.
He drinks from a bowl as he doesn't know how to use a bunny bottle.
Is there anything I could put in the water to encourage him to drink more?

Anything that I could put in it to make it more enticing?

Hoping you can help,

L of L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

harv03.jpg

Hiya,

Alfie hardly drinks anything, i hardly ever see him drinking but he has never had any problems from this.

Maybe give him a bigger bowl to drink out of??

If Harvey gets lots of fresh foods, he will get lots of water from them which means he wont need to drink very much water.

If I have rabbits I am trying to get to drink who are unwell I will put a few drops of unsweetened apple juice in their water, however thisis not ideal as a long term solution.

I am not much help I am afraid

Janice

Hello,

He has a big bowl..... ; )

Somebody pm'd me and told me to contact MandyM as apparently she may be able to suggest something. Elderflower was suggested?

Does anybody else know anything about this?

L of L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Janice,

I was just a tad worried as my other wild bunny seems to drink loads of water and eats lots of veggies but Harvey doesn't seem to drink very much at all.

How about a bit of pineapple juice. Can that be used?

L of L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hello : ),

How much should I put in his water? How much juice compared to water?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

As mentioned if he gets lots of veg he will be ok.

He will drink when he is thirsty so i really wouldn't worry.

Alfie hardly drinks a thing compared to Holly!

You should use no more than a teaspoon per 500 ml bottle, I would only recomend it be used for emergency use when you are trying to get a rabbit to drink for some specific reason such as with thick calcium deposits in their urine.

Rabbits usually get enough fluid in their diet in the way of food they eat, this is not usually required.

Janice

what about carrot drink just put a bit of carrot juice in a bowl/bottle and out water in just like making jiuce you can get in in pamperd pets or pets at home for£3 or so gd luck and i hope he drinks more!

How do bunnies get calcium deposits in their urine?

I know there are certian veggies that are quite high in calcium.

L of L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola, I read from another forum that bowl is much prefer than inverted bunny bottle. I know you let your Harvey to drink from the bowl. But it is possible that Harvey do know how to use Bunny bottle, but is discourage from the bunny bottle.

There was a member in some other forums, who said that she wants to encourage her rabbits to drink lots of water, as such, they got rid of all the bunny bottle and have large bowls instead.

It psychologically encourage them to drink more water as it is sitting there right in front of them, vs. the bottle that they have to suck to get it out. Imagine even for a human, bowl is easier than inverted bottle

Back